the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

East Adder Anglia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: East Adder Anglia
    Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 4:18pm
Took a chance and went to Roydon Common today. 11c and low wind, fair bit of cloud but 6 Adders. Quiet camera friendly too. No Grass Snakes though. Do they normally hibernate longer?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2012 at 4:48pm
Grassies can leave hibernation a little later, they can also be more elusive early season than adder, so both factors tend to work together to make early Natrix sightings rarer than adder sightings.

flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 9:36am
I have Been on a fair bit of herping in West Norfolk/Suffolk lately. Again at Roydon Common there were 6 Adders and one was a fearless baby which i got a superb photo of but need to work out how to upload!? :-/
The same day Santon Downham in Thetford Forest produced 7 Adders taking in some sun. First time i had seen that many there. Yesterday i popped to Cavenham Heath. Bit of a painfull place to search as its a huge area and hard not having local knowledge but a Warden on a previous trip tipped me off the best area. Found 5 there do cant complain. Alot of Birders about for Stone Curlews.
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:42am
 From Roydon Common :o)
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:42am
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:43am
Bonus point for this beautiful Peacock Butterfly
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2012 at 9:54am
Bonus point for a beautiful photograph of a beautiful butterfly! Thumbs Up
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
flywaver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flywaver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 2:56pm
Popped to Dersingham Bog.The weather was not great.This would be an excellent site for Adders but I've not heard if they have been seen there.Its more Heathland than bog with plenty of slopes. I also had a look at Roydon Common. it was after a heavy shower.The sun came out for a bit but no Adders showed themselves from the Hibernacula which has me wondering if they could of dispersed already during the hot spell?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic