the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albinism an advantage!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albinism an advantage!
    Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 2:58pm
hi,

Edited by ben rigsby - 14 Oct 2012 at 1:31pm
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2012 at 10:28pm
Thanks for this psst Ben.

The issue of badger culling is a sensitive one.

i believe that the trial is only the temporary one to see it works.  

it is really important that the traps and methods used are humane of course, but at the same time it is important that other wildlife is not affected too.

Personally, I think it is a waste of time to cull the badgers because if you remove animals from a population then others will move in from adjacent areas. It would take a lot of effort to eradicate the whole population. This is the same situation when you culling mink populations and i believe it can take 5 years to have 100% success. What I'm saying is if they are going to start a culling programme, it needs to be consistent and not just a temporary thing.

The issue you have raised on animal rights activiists is an interesting one. If they are trespassing onto somebody elses land, then it's their own responsibility. If they are determined to find the exact location of a site, then they probably will. This is why it's so important not to advertise on the internet.

Animals rights groups are in a different league though. They can't see the wood for the trees if you know what i mean. Take the release of mink for example. Did they not think about the impacts the mink would have on our native wildlife. No.  So they probably won't think first before entering private land if they find the exact locations.

The badger debate is an important issue - that is so true.

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 7:28am
Think the question is did the cattle give badgers TB or did the badgers give it to the cattle???cant see any cull is needed in arable farming areas. keith
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 11:25am
Why do we think we are morally entitled to exterminate large numbers of wild animals because they are inconvenient to our commercial interests?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by AGILIS AGILIS wrote:

Think the question is did the cattle give badgers TB or did the badgers give it to the cattle???cant see any cull is needed in arable farming areas. keith

Smile LOL

I don't think my colleague understood the question!

It is a million dollar question. .....Would go with the answer that the cattle gave each other TB.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2012 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by Richard2 Richard2 wrote:

Why do we think we are morally entitled to exterminate large numbers of wild animals because they are inconvenient to our commercial interests?

And still tryng to figure out the answer to that one too.....

Nice pic though.

Edited by sussexecology - 30 Jan 2012 at 9:21pm
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 7:58pm
thanks

Edited by ben rigsby - 14 Oct 2012 at 1:34pm
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 8:38pm
Ben,

Thanks. I seem to have been very argumentative on this forum over the last two weeks.

The bovine-TB-and-badgers topic isn't one I know very much about, but the idea of a mass cull of badgers seems repulsive; it seems a throwback to the mid-twentieth-century industrial mindset that came up with myxamotosis and battery hens. Human TB and bovine TB are very different variants, aren't they? A quick google search suggests that the risk of transmission to humans is so low as to be negligible (though a few cases have been known). Certainly, the TB that was such a terror in human populations before modern antibiotics was a quite different animal.

What's wrong with vaccination - of cattle and badgers?
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 9:55pm
Personally I'm with you Richard, what does give us the right to exterminate any animal on commercial grounds.

Particularly as in this case there is little evidence that culling will be in the least be effective and appears to have been a political move to appease farmers. Nothing against farmers, I have several I regard as friends, by in large they agree with my argument on this subject too.

In fact if it is OK to do so, I might as well hang up my walking boots for good, perhaps we should just let the developers bulldoze all our wildlife into the ground for housing, supermarkets etc. Then we can all sit indoors stuffing our faces on the processed food from a sterilised countryside. 

Hmmm, I just looked out of my window, we are already there aren't we. Cry

Edited by GemmaJF - 03 Feb 2012 at 10:02pm
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Nothing against farmers, I have several I regard as friends, by in large they agree with my argument on this subject too.

thanks for your thoughts Gemma/Richard etc.

happy 2012 herping all

ben

Edited by ben rigsby - 14 Oct 2012 at 1:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic