the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fungi 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 5:18pm
That Satans bolet, just how poisonous is it? I have loads in the garden!
R
RobV
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 5:21pm
I had previously thought the two were easily separated but having investigated the matter it seems that there is a huge degree of overlap when it comes to their 'diagnostic' charateristics and the habitats they occupy. In my opinion even a small overlap between the sum of all a species' field characteristics makes its true identity questionable. Sure enough the books make the two easy to separate but the experts' accounts i've seen appear much less conclusive; although unlike the many self-proclaimed elitists present in the world (never on Rauk though LOL hut, hum!) i'm more than happy to be told i'm speaking sh*t again. 

Since life is too short i have since given up separating the two. On the other hand Ben you might well just have the eye for them; some people have the ability to go beyond the outer veil! Thumbs Up 
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 7:12pm

the time-honoured argument eh Roberto?
what the fork is a species?

as a humble nobody - but with an above "average" knowledge of fungi ID, and with luck a bit of "nous" all i can say is that when i see Ls i instinctively think that it is one and not Ln.
at least in my area ive not encountered intermediates.

i spot lots of differences 'twixt 2.
EG further to those already detailed, the rim of the cap of Ls is more involutedly pronounced and wider than in Ln. a bit.

B satanus in the garden Rob V. most impressive!

NB the rare/trickier fungi ive IDd in this thread have been validated by my local fungus group prior to posting.

cheers!
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 9:43am
By the way, i loved the Pink Wax cap you posted earlier. A picture of it was on the interpretation board of a common i surveyed recently; cited as being rare and the only pink toadstool in the country. I did not see one unfortunately. 
P.S. it appears i am speaking sh*t again. Nae bother Cool

Edited by Scale - 17 Nov 2011 at 9:47am
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 10:28am
As Vincent so kindly did for Paul i shall now attempt to paint this house yellow. Just don't go cutting off any lobes...

One of the genus Lactarius with orange/yellow 'sap'. I wish i'd investigated the staining properties further to id species. Ben? 

One of the genus Calocera. I love these, you see 'em about quite alot

The fantastic Golden Wax-cap. A real prince among  the grass blades.

A youngish Pine Dye Polypore. My first.

The False Chanterelle. Enough to make you weep.....if only!

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 5:32pm
finds! cheers - thats a really good range of beautiful pix and species.
nice work.

Your Milk Cap might be Lactarius deterrimus.
Lactarius deliciosus (Saffron Milk Cap) and L deterrimus are very similar but the former is uncommon in England and the latter is frequent. assuming you found it in spruce/pine woods in Shrops not bagpipes n porridge land?

False Chanterelles are said to be hallucinogenic. or so i recently read in a wildlife mag. alkaloid levels are probably very low though or as was pointed out to me by another member, their status in folklore would be much higher.

heres Wood Blewit and Field Blewit side by side for comparison. hopefully showing the differences i mentioned;

also found some more Shaggy Parasols today. once again, in a garden;

these were very white and fleecy rather than scaly/shaggy-capped so think theyre Macrolepiota rhacodes var. bohemica. also common and edible.
dunno why the pic keeps coming up wrong way round. its right way up on photobucket - how annoying!

got a pic of your Boletes Rob V? Boletus satanus are very rare and found on ancient limestone habitat under Oak. not many people have seen them. the season is normally late summer.

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:35pm
Is this them or some other crap?
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:36pm
another angle - and they're growing on the roots of my Yew tree.
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:56pm
undefinedAnd while we're on the subject of fauna, any ideas about these?
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:57pm
or this???
RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 30>
  Share Topic