the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fungi 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 11:55pm
cheers for posting kev.
this species varies greatly in shape but instantly recognisable by the egg yolk colour eh? was the texture ok? it looks a bit tough!
heres the specimen i found (and devoured) today. a nice fresh young un. love the way its enveloped the grass blades!

earlier this morning (along with adder and viv - thanks HART) i saw several species in Mortimer Forest too.
inc these other common ones;

Brown Roll-rim Paxillus involutus
Poisonous

Getting wood deep in the bush - its a Stink Horn.
this is a small specimen well past its best and my only pic turned out blurred im afraid.
but any excuse to broadcast one of the most humorously apt and memorable latin names ever eh?
Phallus impudicus

Said to be edible while still young and in the "egg" stage.
ive never tried it. the prospect of lunching on something that will shortly bear an uncanny resemblance to some tramps gangrenous boner and be crawling with big black flies does not get my mouth a-watering!

anyone here gobbled one of these?

Birch Polypore Piptoporus betulinus;
Not Edible.

yippee!
1st Fly Agarics Amanita muscaria of the year!!!
POISONOUS (but not DEADLY)/PSYCHOTROPIC.

saw faded orangey 1s with some or all of the white veil remains washed off and the more portents, pixies and potions type;

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 6:48am
PIC OF MY TAME MUSHROOMS THIS IS BEFORE THE FINAL MORNINGS CULL   KEITH

Edited by AGILIS - 20 Sep 2011 at 6:36am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:19pm
Hi Ben,
I've never gobbled a tramps gangrenous boner thank god, or a stink horn come to think of it !!! I've tried to post a few pics here (hence the failed blank post...sorry) it wouldn't allow me to due to the pics been too large or something ?? How do I reduce the size ? I'd love to contribute !!  I've never eaten a wild mushroom as I lack the confidence and the knowledge. But I do love looking for them and taking photo's. Yesterday there was a guy picking mushrooms in the local forest, I asked him about them, he had a bucket full of Boletus, I think, he told me that they were great to eat but be careful not to pick the ones that turn blue when damaged. That but me off straight away !! I may have to do the next best thing. Last time I went to Beverley market near Hull there was a stall selling Boletus, Chantelles etc. Depending on price I may have a go. Unless there is someone near York/Hull who wants to meet up ???   
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 9:23pm
Forgot to mention that last year there were large areas of Fly agerics in the forest, some the size of dinner plates. Amazing to see. They seem very common around here. If I can I'll post some pics.
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 11:53am
Just returned from me hols; nice thread. Er thank you Beer

Here's a couple of celebrity edibles i managed to pap just prior to going away. The first Oyster must surely get a prize for the mushroom most resembling a fictional space craft (more so after a couple dutzend of Ben's nipplewursts no doubt). I found them growing on what i assume must have been the Captain's Log.  They were only twiddlers and with no miniature french toast to speak of i declined their lunch offer and we parted company in the woods. What do you think Trekers?

Sorry about the blur, my phone is no longer what it should be.

The second is Slippery Jack which is not much to eat although, much like my farther in laws' tanned pattern bald head, it has a fantastic polished wood like patina. 

Cheers
Roberto

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2011 at 5:48pm
thanks for the pix and humorous observations on baldness Roberto

with the main season for mushrooms rapidly descending, perhaps it would be fun for members to keep this thread going awhile? particularly if there are other interested regulars like Chris D, Mark and yourself.

as a relative newcomer to both computers and the site Chris, im afraid i lack the know-how to help you post your pics(which i and hopefully others here would love to see) internally but perhaps the other (Admin) Chris can assist you?
sorry to "pass the buck"!
i normally go via the FREE image-hosting site Photobucket (join and follow instructions) but i understand that this method can be bypassed on RAUK.
hope this helps.

others please correct if you think im wrong (since Horse Mushrooms also discolour yellow - tho less brightly - upon bruising) but i believe this recent sighting to be Yellow Stainer Agaricus xanthodermus

The Genus Agaricus includes many edible species but Yellow Stainers are best avoided as they can cause stomach upsets in some people (tho not everyone is thus affected)

cheers, ben
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 2:20pm
Looks like a classic stainer to me, especially if the bruising was immediate. Them's the ones that nailed me uncle bob and his wife. Good idea with the reserved thread. There's never too much room for mushrooms.

I'll kick things off with a cheeky bit of nipple, which yours sadly lacked. Still it was a cold day down there amongst the Nardus stalks.

Cheers

Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 7:32pm
Hi,
Here's some of the 'rooms that I found this year.
Is the first one a CEP ? the next was the type that was been picked by the guy in the forest as I explained in a previous post. The last is a pic of the Fly Agarics that were so numerous last year. This year not so common ! 
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 7:44pm
great pics Chris! loved the fly agarics

looks like a cep yeah. did you scoff it?

cheers ben
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 9:01pm
Hi Ben,
Thanks for the help, I got there in the end. Unfortunately my computer keeps freezing when using Photobucket so posting pics may be occassional. I left the CEP where it was, I wish I'd had the guts to eat it now. I'll try to post some more when I have time.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 30>
  Share Topic