the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fungi 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 11:39am
Hi Chris,
Your top one is most certainly a Cep and in light of its alternative name The Penny Bun, an apt description.

The only other mushroom you could potentially confuse it with is the Bitter Bolete, which has an obvious dark latticed pattern over its stem and is easy to recognise really. The good news is that the Bitter Bolete is by no means poisonous, just insanely bitter, or as Fearnley Whittingstall puts it 'you would not want one of these slipping into your Cepes a la Creme'.

Either way a supreme forage and probably the most infamous, amateur proof and tasty fungus known to mankind. Maybe there is a God after all and just maybe he wears shades Cool
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Scale Scale wrote:

probably the most tasty fungus known to mankind.

True, but other species have had much greater anthropological/cultural influence.

heres a couple of very common edibles. tho i dont recommend them to beginners unless you familiarise yourself with similar-looking (and poisonous) species first.
this first one also needs to be cooked THOROUGHLY.

The Blusher Amanita rubescens
Like me, this is an ageing specimen, well past its best!

so-named because it gets all embarrassed (or maybe its anger?!) when you touch it (you can see a trace of this effect in the gills in my 2nd pic)

i expect you'd get the same reaction if you goosed a go-go dancers bum

these are best avoided owing to possible confusion with poisonous-psychotropic and similar-looking sibling spp.

Next, The Charcoal Burner Russula cyanoxantha
Having read of the Vipera heyday on this forum, this fungi's common name now evokes Adder for me!

Like Amanita, the Russula Genus has both Luke Skywalkers and Darth Vaders among its number.
so best avoided by those yet to visit Yoda (Roger Phillips)

all the best members!

Edited by ben rigsby - 07 Oct 2011 at 7:30pm
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:25pm
Hi Scale,

I was pretty confident identifying the first pic. Anyone identify the second pic and the any similar mushy's to it that I should be wary of. (I can then look it up in my Yoda book). Anyone got any pics of the really poisonous ones ?

Cheers  
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 8:39pm
Here's another pic. Any ideas ? I had a pic of a Destroying Angel put can't find it at the moment.

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 6:22pm
perhaps scale, mark or another fun guy/gal member (yet to announce their prescence) might know Chris.
otherwise, you could try visiting Yoda's website (yes they have the internet on Dagobah) and "keying in" description details to get an ID.
EG your 'shroom has widely-spaced, white, strongly-decurrent(running down the stem) gills, a brown, slimy(?) cap and is growing in leaf litter.
you ought to be able to at least narrow the possibilities down.

Disappointingly, you cant post pix directly on the forum there - or at least i cant see how. you have to do it via a link.
cheap rubbish. unlike the pleasingly-designed, UF RAUK.

id love to see your Amanita virosa pic!
ive never found one of those.

so far we've had fungi with nipples (Liberty Caps) and ones shaped like penises (Stink Horns)
well heres Buttock-Capped Boletus Boletus middletonii;

actually its Boletus queletii
B luridus & B erythropus are very similar but lack the red colouration at the base of the stem upon bruising (above)- known as pigeon's eye.

uncommon little beauties and found while delivering mail - so keep your eye out Chris!
thats the magic of fungi - they can turn up almost anywhere!

cheers, Ben
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 7:31pm
by the way, cant be sure from a single pic (esp without seeing the underside of the cap) but your 1st unidentified looks a lot like Brown Birch Bolete Leccinum scabrum Chris.
was it under or near Birch?
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 8:01pm
I think they were Ben but they were also on the edge of a coniferous forest in the grass nearby.  
Here's the underside of one.

Maybe I was being a bit ahead of myself as I'm sure that I had a pic of a Aminita virosa but can't find it a the mo. Could this be an Aminita phalloides ??

Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 8:28pm
Here's some more, the first I believe is a Aminita fulva ?? The Tawny Grissette ??

This one was in the middle of a arable field
I had labelled most of my pics as I downloaded them off my camera but as usual when needed I can't find them !! Hope you like them.   

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 8:50pm
well, certainly looks like either Death Cap A phalloides or False Death Cap A citrina i reckon. i cant tell for sure from this pic alone but the former sp usually has a more olivaceous (rather than yellowy - a la citrina) cap so phalloides looks a good bet.
phalloides favours Oak and citrina sems to prefer Beech if that helps.

other pic - yeah BB Bolete id say!

cheers
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 9:40am
Anyone have any idea what this is? It's pushing up the lino in a damp corner of my workplace.

And Ben, didn't you promise us a photo of Psilocybe cyanescens? I'd like to see that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 30>
  Share Topic