the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fungi 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fungi 2011
    Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 6:19pm
hi folks,

heres a few interesting fruiting bodies i done recently seen.
enjoy and lets see your finds please members........

impressive size-wise and very beautiful. growing on a stump -
Ganoderma;

Parasol Mushroom Macrolepiota procera;

edible - and good. (as are the (more frequent) rhacodes - the Shaggy Parasol

finally, take em or leave em these are probably (along with Fly Agaric and Giant Puffball) the most famous UK mushies, Liberty Caps or "magic mushrooms" Psilocybe semilanceata.
pioneering Mycologist John Ramsbottom (1885-1974) devoted a whole chapter in his seminal 1953 work to a related species and their ritual usage;

these specimens are slightly atypical. normally the "nipple" at the top of the cap is more pronounced.

cheers, ben

Edited by ben rigsby - 16 Sep 2011 at 6:35pm
tim-f View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim-f Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2011 at 7:02pm
Great stuff.  A good reminder that I need to get out into the countryside more.

Interesting to see the items left by the local gnomes - good to see they're keeping up with the times.

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:34pm
Hi guys,

all good, not being quite the fungi geeks that you are, would you be able to clue us all up on these?

Glad to see plenty of picking ban notices up all over the place!
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:35pm
and
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:36pm
and
RobV
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 3:45pm
Photo 2: Lycoperdon perlatum
Photo 3: Oudemansiella mucida - should be growing on Beech.

Mark
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 5:40pm
wow! as a herper with a sideline in fungi (and assuming he didnt cheat somehow), Mark is most impressive at fungi ID!

as for pic no 1, its impossible to say from that pic Rob. in order to have a stab at it (and even then IDing fruiting bodies from pix is still tricky even for a mycologist) one needs to know habitat and description details remembering many fungi have mycorrhizal relationships with specific tree species etc.
its never gonna be easy but additional pix of the underside and stipe (stem) would help - eg are the gills decurrent (running down the stem as in Clitocybe) or adnate (connected to the stem by the whole depth of the gill eg Stropharia), is there a "ring" around the stem etc etc
i hate to criticise and thanks for posting but your pic gives no indication of scale (i dont mean Rob! ) either.

multi-angled pix help!

in moderation, picking mushrooms does not harm the mycelium (the important bit)

i went out seeking herps today at Leckhampton Hill (hello Will and Kit!) and saw bugger all apart from 1 solitary viv but i found 4 (arguably deadly poisonous by some sources) Devils Boletes (Boletus satanus) so the day wasnt entirely wasted

Calcareous soil, under oak, swollen red stipe, yellow tubes, off-white cap, bruises blue, foul smell and attractive to flies etc;

also saw some (the source of much supernatural folklore in bygone times) "fairy rings";

any other regularly-posting (or otherwise) members care to add any interesting fungi to this thread? keith? suzi?

cheers, ben
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 6:48pm
Well, Mycology is one of my other interests - I have a fair few fungi photos lurking on the computer and another hard drive, I'll dig some out when I get some time.   One of my pictures of Clathrus archeri is in the 2006 edition of Roger Phillips' 'Mushrooms'.  It's this one here: http://www.rogersmushrooms.com/gallery/loadimage.asp?did=9820&blockName=Clathrus%20archeri 
Chris d View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2011 at 7:59pm
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2011 at 8:12pm
Here is a Chicken of the woods Laetipourus sulphureus that I found today growing on an Oak.Tomorrow I shall be slicing,par boiling it,coating it in flour and then frying it in butter with garlic.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 30>
  Share Topic