the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > News > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

NE Publish Reptile Mitigation Guidelines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NE Publish Reptile Mitigation Guidelines
    Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 8:03am
Looking forward to the discussion on this one...

http://naturalengland.etraderstores.com/NaturalEnglandShop/TIN102

Edited by calumma - 14 Sep 2011 at 8:05am
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 9:56am
I've got to page 4 and glad to see there has been plenty of input from those at the sharp end Lee Thumbs Up
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 5:14pm
Thank you for this

just had a quick scan and it is 36 pages long. Got to be worth the wait though and will enjoy reading that when i get some time. 

Looking forward to some lengthy discussion on this too Big smile

Edited by sussexecology - 17 Feb 2012 at 12:31am
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 6:11pm
'in all cases, reptiles should not be translocated to sites a long distance away, say 20km' (p11)- so, not from Essex to Wiltshire then... Wink
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2011 at 9:17pm
Wiltshire is in Essex isn't it Will? (LOL)

Not sure I've quite got my head around the number of survey days yet, I think I'll need a spreadsheet to calculate them. Odd February gets a 2 for adder whilst April gets a 5. Still much to take in though it clearly states that the document is fluid and can be updated..

So that being the case please change the two week settling time for refuges (refugia??) to FOUR WEEKS NE!
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 7:21am
Gemma@ Wiltshire is in Essex isn't it Will? (LOL) - doh! I forgot...  still, a nice parting gesture from Jim (Foster) to put this in writing before his recent departure from NE - well done Jim. 
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 9:08am
Hi Gemma

You tend to be slanted towards males at lower numbers than in April where you have usually many more animals above ground. However I do believe that seasonality is altered with location - for instance northern climes would probably have different scores in each month wouldnt they?

J
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 5:35pm
Yep it's fair comment Jon, visual survey in April can get more results, but 2 vs 5?

I'm just a little concerned for example that some consultants will only survey in the high scoring months going against several statements in the document that they should not, or at least be tempted to not survey in very low scored months. With February being a 2 will many consultants actually use this time to identify adder hibernacula for example when they could be doing less visits later in the year? It's not always simply about high counts, understanding the habitat used has always been the key to my own consultancy work.

To be fair though I've still only had time to scan read parts of the document and still need to sit down and read it all through properly.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 7:39pm
yes i noticed that too!

Should def be 4 weeks, not 2 weeks, but know there are some consultants who leave these down for just a week!

The no of survey days = no I can't get my head around those. Think I will stick to the 10 days as a min for absence/presence surveys and 15 - 20 for population densities for the time being. Like your idea of using a spreadsheet to calculate these though, Gemma.  I can see it being a problem if I am out on site and the client asks how many visits are required and I have to make a very quick calculation! Big smile 

Think I will still stick to a min of 10.

I know that Jon won't like me saying this, but I absolutely love using Onduline Big smileBig smile and thanks to Gemma who recommended it last year. And it seems to work very well (esp for slow worms). Haven't found any mention of this in the guidelines yet, but somebody correct me if I am wrong about that. I haven't had time to read it thoroughly yetWink

Happy reading guys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2011 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Yep it's fair comment Jon, visual survey in April can get more results, but 2 vs 5?

I'm just a little concerned for example that some consultants will only survey in the high scoring months going against several statements in the document that they should not, or at least be tempted to not survey in very low scored months. With February being a 2 will many consultants actually use this time to identify adder hibernacula for example when they could be doing less visits later in the year? It's not always simply about high counts, understanding the habitat used has always been the key to my own consultancy work.

To be fair though I've still only had time to scan read parts of the document and still need to sit down and read it all through properly.

Got to agree with that one, as noticed that July and August also get a lower score. But if the weather isn't too hot (like this year) and there is a lot of rain around (like this year!), July and August can still be useful. I think that counts in July and August can be done, providing it is very early in the morning and when the temp is good enough too (ie not too hot).

Would like more comments on this, but like Gemma I've only scanned through it briefly and not sure if any other members of our team have read through it properly.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic