the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

toad with broken leg

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: toad with broken leg
    Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:25pm
have a common toad ran over by a strimmer. It doesnt have any obvious wounds but both its front and back right leg seem broken,  they hang limp. I live in the middle of nowhere the nearest wildlife vet is hours away and when I contacted animal rescue they didnt seem keen on the journey here for a toad???!! I've looked on different websites and had conflicting information, some say they don't feel pain and broken limbs heal. I dont want to keep the little guy suffering if he is in pain and will press the case with rescue services but I also don't want to hand him over incase they just euthanise him because its the easy option. I've got a spare fish tank and wouldnt mind buying him some crickets or bloodworms from the pet shop til he was better. I'd just really appreciate some rational guidance. xD
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 11:56am
Toads can recover from pretty horrific injuries- there are plenty of wild ones with missing limbs or eyes that seem to do OK. They're quite easy to keep- some soil in an aquarium & a few hiding places (e.g. flowerpots, pieces of bark) would do fine. You should either provide a water dish, or spray with water every couple of days.

An injured toad may well have trouble catching crickets- earthworms might be better.
debhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote debhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 8:52pm
thanks caleb you have been a great help thanks for taking the time to reply x
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 10:00am

Say what?!!!! Since when have mangled toads done well? You know this for a fact Caleb? Why the hell have I been stamping to death and deliberately putting them under the path of cars for the last several years then? I ain’t never picked up a disabled toad or seen one, I presumed most die after being injured, I want pictures of disabled toads and their wounds.

(PS. Hello newbie. )

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 10:01am
debhm you still here?   Is your toad still alive?
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2011 at 11:27am
Yeah, toads/newts are always turning up with healed injuries, amputations etc
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:08am
I don't really collect photos of disabled toads... but here's one of a natterjack with only three legs, the right hind limb was just a tiny stump:

it seemed to get around reasonably well (and no, it didn't run in circles).

Obviously if a toad's been run over and its insides are hanging out then it's not going to survive, but I have seen loads with missing toes, a good few with missing limbs, and the occasional one with one eye.
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 10:12am
There is a toad that lives in my local quarry with a nasty, deep scar on his back close to the head.  He returns to the same spot after his nocturnal forays, appearing under the same plank of wood and has done so for the entire spring/summer period. I will have to see if this continues next year as i have read that frogs and toads are transient and do not exhibit a high degree of refuge fidelity.
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Scale Scale wrote:

i have read that frogs and toads are transient and do not exhibit a high degree of refuge fidelity.

Frogs, maybe, but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of toads using one refuge for long periods of time. One large female toad lived in a flowerpot under my parents' heating oil tank for at least 3 years, and I've heard quite a few similar stories.
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:32am
Excellent information
Cheers Caleb
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic