the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Slow Worm
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slow-worm Identification and Sightings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Jaikaiman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaikaiman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slow-worm Identification and Sightings
    Posted: 31 May 2007 at 9:52am

About 20 Years ago now, in the village of Clutton, in Somerset, I caught a completely Black Skinned Slow Worm.  Whats more interesting is that the Slow Worm lived in the vicinity of a coal merchant yard.  Could it be that this slow worm had evolved this colour purely for camoflage?

P.s. No the slow worm was not covered in coal dust ;-)

P.p.s Have also seen Blue speckled grey ones (Her name was Biggums - she was very large, and quite old).

Live Love and Learn.
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2007 at 12:38pm
HI ALL IF IT MIGHT BE OF INTEREST  . IN THE LATE 1950s I FOUND A COMPLETE ALBINO SLOWORM  WHITE & PINK NO BROWN ON IT AT ALL WHICH I GAVE TO A HERPETOLOGIST OF THE DAY A MR GEO MALENOIR OF LEYTON IN ESSEX SADLY NOW GONE , WHO HAD A HUGE OUTSIDE VIVARIA IN WHICH SAND LIZARDS BRED AND WERE RELEASED BACK INTO PLACES LIKE FRENSHAM AND DORSET WITH HELP FROM ME ...BUT BACK TO THIS SLOWORM NEXT THING I KNEW IT WAS IN THE HANDS OF THE BRITISH MUSEUM AND DISECTED NOT ON MY WISHES  AS BEING A TEENAGER THERE WAS A REPORT IN HE PAPERS AT THE TIME ,THAT MENTIONED THIS RARE CAPTURE WITH ME GIVEN CREDIT FOR IT. I CAUGHT IT AT BALDWINS HILL LOUGHTON  IN EPPING FOREST IN THE COUNTY OF ESSEX I AM KNOW DOWN LOADING SOME OF MY EXPERIENCES AS I KNOW US HERPETOLOGISTS LIKE TO KEEP RECORDS OF THESE THINGS THAT ARE LOST IN THE PAST AND READING ABOUT MR TONY PHELPS WHOM I HAVE ADMIRATION  FOR AS TO HIS ENDEAVOURS IN THIS FIELD I NOW KNOW I AM NO LONGER THE OLDEST CROC STALKING ABOUT T HEATHLAND. . KEITH  BENNETT

Edited by AGILIS
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2003 at 11:51pm

A description and images of the Slow-worm Anguis fragilis may be found at:

http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/slow_worm.htm

® Gemma Fairchild

Edited by administrator
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic