the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Toad
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Toad n the vole

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toad n the vole
    Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 12:57pm
Saw these two under a rock in Llandegla a few weeks back also found a couple of smooth newts under the adjacent rock.Quite often see the voles and shrews in the middle of the day on the banks where lizards bask.Big smile
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 8:59pm
loved that pic dave!

similarly, i lifted a piece of old cardboard in the middle of Gloucester recently (hoping for a slow worm) and uncovered 3 shrews.
wasnt quick enough enough with the camera though!

the old story!
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 9:33pm
love toads but don't get too many of them around hereUnhappy

surprised the vole hung around long enough for you to take a pic!

tim

Edited by tim hamlett - 09 Jun 2011 at 9:34pm
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 10:52pm
This picture was taken about 20 yards from where you spotted the first adder on that ramble Tim.Ben I cheated my mate Adam took this pick and I lifted the rock!Wink

Edited by dave fixx - 09 Jun 2011 at 10:52pm
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 9:08am
Great pic.
kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 1:48pm
i saw the same thing but the toad was reder and the vole was more golden
kit
kit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by tim hamlett tim hamlett wrote:

love toads but don't get too many of them around hereUnhappy

surprised the vole hung around long enough for you to take a pic!

tim
If u go to chester zoo in the car park there are a few large rocks if you look around there under the wooden boards there are all ways toads under there and the ocasional vole
kit

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 6:28pm
thanks Wink

tim
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:53pm
I have on my veg garden a plastic fertiliser sack folded in half with the inside (black) facing outwards and weighted down at the corners. Up to four little toads live under there at a time. They're all much of a size (bit bigger than a 50p) and by looking at their colouring I realise there must be at least 6 different ones use this place. I have this plastic down especially for them as I discovered they liked to live under there. It must get very hot on a sunny day. Now where they come from I don't know as there don't seem to be any suitable breeding places nearby. There are plenty of bigger toads in the garden too. Some of these live in the compost heaps under the plastic covering - again hot place on a sunny day.
Suz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2011 at 9:59pm
suz

do your slowies use the other plastic refuge as well or just the one on the compost heap?

tim
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic