the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you do with your dead things?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you do with your dead things?
    Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 2:31pm

I put my deceased frog friend in the wheelie bin. DidnĘt fancy burying it incase I ever found it again by accident. Last summer I threw a dead shrew and dead frog over the wall and the hedgehog living right by me had them both. I didnĘt put the rancid frog over the wall though cos I thought it might make a hungry hog ill.

BTW, I rescued a starving hog about a week ago. Do you like it?

I also put a dead bluetit in the wheelie bin but when I found the hog I considered getting it out again to give it something to eat. I would have if the sanctuary people had come very late. The tit was caught in next doorĘs sweetpea netting and I didnĘt spot it when it was alive and feel terrible. I took these pics the day before I noticed it. Tragic.

Oh it's hard to spot BTW in case you haven't spotted it.  That's why I missed it too.

I werenĘt too eager to get it out of my wheelie bin as hog food cos IĘd have had to have cut off the remaining sweetpea netting and I was already traumatised and also I didnĘt fancy bits of dead bird left in my pet cage after the hog had gone and having to clear it up.

So what do other people do with their dead things? Does something always come along and eat dead things and itĘs a waste of a life by just sticking it in the wheelie bin?

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2011 at 10:40pm
hi sue,

sorry about your tit getting snagged in netting.
and the frog stiffy.

everything dies though.
well apart from LAST OF THE SUMMER WINE which seems to go on and on forever.

wild birds often perish of shock anyway when handled.
its happened to me when ive tried helping something stuck. once with a blackbird and once with a sparrowhawk.
so you probably couldnt have helped. dont feel bad.

nice hedgehog. watch out for the fleas, lice and ticks on those though.
i hope it was eventually rereleased near where you found it. thats thought to be best practice since the animal will know its surroundings (where to find food/shelter etc) and be disorientated elsewhere.

suburbia is the best place to find them these days. not the open countryside where they have declined. partly due to badgers increasing. it was studied. i went to a FERA talk about it a few years ago.

nice to see your pix. great they are about near you.
i havent seen a hedgehog for ages!

the frogs will prefer your pond to a lake anyday. they dont like deep water or places where enemies like large predatory fish like carp lurk and herons gather. shallow, warmer water is best for frogspawn development.
toads are often found in bigger waterbodies but even they prefer the margins where its less deep.

yes frogs can home in.
dig a pond most places and theyll often appear.
as if by magic.
ive read females can smell algal blooms (good grub for their tadpoles) esp in new ponds and head for them as good places for their babies.
males call other frogs in too.

frogs and toads usually travel at night - when theres less traffic.

best to burn or bury corpses.

wear gloves when handling/wash hands after.
obviously.

although i saw a Cornishman on TV who EATS roadkills he finds. if theyre fresh

you could always try that if you get bored of stuffing your face with Pringles and chocolate.

ben

Edited by ben rigsby
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 12:01pm

The bluetit and last yearĘs dead frog were preventable deaths though. That sweetpea netting was a death trap, it should have been taken down last autumn and not put so near the bird feeders, werenĘt the tits fault it got stuck in it. Next door have taken it down now, I left them a note. & the frog that died was in my hut. It was a smallish one and I found it in my washing up bowl there. I think it died of starvation. I think it got in through a small hole and couldnĘt find its way back out again. I go in there almost daily but never saw it ętil it died in the washing up bowl. I felt so terrible afterwards. If IĘd have known it was in there IĘd have let it out. I sealed up the holes afterwards with silicone. I prefer it when things die for a proper reason.

What the hell do you do to the birds when youĘre holding them Ben? IĘve grabbed birds before and carried them around and they ainĘt died on me. Maybe itĘs cos youĘre more scary looking than I am. (BTW, I wouldnĘt know what a sparrowhawk looks like. Do we even have them in Yorkshire? )

I went on the hedgehog rescue website (http://keighleyhedgehogrescue.com/ which donĘt seem to be working at the mo) and on there it said not to worry about fleas. I was worried about fleas cos I donĘt want my rodents to catch them and I didnĘt want to fumigate the entire house but the site said basically not to worry about them. I had the hog in my hut for a bit but the lady said to take it indoors into the warm and give it hot water bottles to sit on so I did. That was a couple of weeks ago and so far my rodents havenĘt done any more scratching than usual. A man came and picked it up and I showed him where it had come from and said the area is top sh*t for hogs and he was pleased with it and that heĘd tell the lady who runs the rescue about it but I dunno if itĘll get released back to where it came from. The lady ainĘt replied to my long email, she must think IĘm a nutter and donĘt wanna talk to me. IĘm sure itĘll be ok with her though and it was bound to die without intervention anyway, think the site said she had about 140 of them or something. SheĘs been rescuing them for years, doubt she eats them or owt.

DidnĘt know badgers were their main predator. Well I knew badgers could have them but I just figured they didnĘt live in the country cos there ainĘt enough slugs and prefer gardens. By my house is a pretty cool place for hogs cos of the undisturbed woodland and brambles and they walk through all the gardens. They usually zoom straight through my yard, in and out in 2 or 3 seconds. I had all hell on in catching that hog. You know like if one fell in my pond, do you reckon the amount of plant rootage in there would trap itĘs legs and pull it under and it wouldnĘt be able to get out? I know they can swim but if itĘs thick with plantage like in my pond, would that make it drown do you think? I was thinking about this the other day.

I think I see more squashed hedgehogs than I do live ones. The hog I found was from a brood late last summer, one of my mates up the street rescued another cos it was too small to survive the winter. I became to really enjoy the one living over the wall from me, itĘs nice to think itĘs asleep there during the day somewhere. Well unless it was the same one I gave to the rescue.

The lake near me isnĘt deep actually. Dunno about the centre of it but from the sides it only looks a foot deep. ItĘs big though. Seen a heron only a few times, never seen any fish in there but there is actually a turtle living there. It was reported in the newspaper, I ainĘt spotted it yet though but IĘd love to see it basking. & if possible get it out of there so it donĘt eat the frogs. Might have my fingers off though if itĘs a snapper and I doubt IĘd be able to catch it. BTW thereĘs lots of carp at the golf course pond where thereĘs always spawn.

Uwe, I donĘt fancy burning corpses. I donĘt like fire, I nearly set my house on fire last week by burning a candle someone gave me as a present. I panicked when the flames went huge, thank f*ck IĘd put it on my stone fireplace and not on the carpet. It burnt my stone it did. It went black and IĘd used a wire brush on it but itĘs still black. Children shouldnĘt play with fire. Might start up my own graveyard over the wall then and I could put a headstone over it so that I donĘt accidentally do any digging there in the future.

I used a plastic bag for handling that dead tit. ThereĘs something creepy about dead things, I donĘt mind touching stuff when itĘs alive but when itĘs dead itĘs like creepy and yuck. Oh and IĘm scared of spiders. I canĘt touch them either, I scream like a girl. Well I am a girl.

IĘd never eat roadkill no matter what. A duck got splattered on the main road at Christmas. The lake was frozen and and when itĘs frozen and thereĘs no visitors the ducks wander a bit and one came out onto the road and got run over. I saw it soon after it got run over, it was still alive. I saw it move itĘs head. I went for a slightly closer inspection to see what it was and saw all the blood and knew it was a gonna so didnĘt even bother trying to help that one, I left it to die. It was dead and flatter when I passed again 1 hour 30 later. I guessed the bestest vet wouldnĘt have been able to mend it even if I had tried to intervene. Bad Dad said I should have scooped it off the road and eaten that. Grim.

Thanks for sharing your superior knowledge with me Ben, I love you and I'll love you more when I get my presents.

kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 2:53pm

Calm down you two, get a room.

In connection with your description of favouring different spawning habitats Ben, last year on my unofficial annual golf course visit to count Toads we found over 500 around the pond yet only 6 frogs.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by kevinb kevinb wrote:

Calm down you two, get a room.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 1:01pm

I saw a little hedgehog in a ball on a lawn this morning and was concerned and wanted to investigate it so knocked on the door and the most horrible old hag answered and started shouting at me for getting her out of bed when she was ill for that. She said it had been there a few days and was ranting and raving at me, she was horrible. I went up to it anyway and it was dead. Poor hog. I think it starved cos it was so small. She was a horrible uncaring old woman, itĘs bad that some people donĘt care for the wellbeing of animals. I hope she gets sicker and sicker and dies. I donĘt like her.

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 3:26pm
Are hedgehogs a preferred food for badgers? I have fed badgers here for almost 20 years and have photos of badger and hedgehog feeding together on peanuts. I've watched them moving about and the badgers seem to ignore the hedgehogs. OK artificial set up I know.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 9:26pm
hi suz

i dont know about "preferred" or even that direct predation was thought to be the problem - though badgers "rolling" hedgehogs open to get at their bellies has apparently been seen.
perhaps its related to competition for the same food or something else.

as far as i remember, the CSL (now FERA) study i referred to (presented at a 2 day DEFRA conference covering many topics but mainly TB/other wildlife issues) only showed that hedgehogs were less common in high density badger areas.
i dont recall theories as to WHY being ventured. or surprisingly, anyone even asking at the time!
perhaps they did-
it was a long 2 days and i wasnt used to being sat in a chair for hours on end!    

badgers were already getting a bad rep and culling them was a political hot potato. to say the least.
it still is of course.
this didnt seem to help restore brock's image.
CSL were firmly against any culling.

it could have been political (not to venture theories)
but id better not go into ALL THAT.
lets just say there were big differences of opinion, rivalries and much vying for favour/funding by various bodies!      

your pics sound good. exciting to have badgers AND hedgehogs visiting.

ben

Edited by ben rigsby
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2011 at 11:14pm
Ben I read about your badger training (not training to be a badger!) previously.
The biggest threat to hedgehogs here, in my road, is cars. We have hedgehog years and then blank years as it seems most of them have been killed on the road and it takes time for others to move in. We all have large gardens but the stupid things go on the road and get run over. In these bad years up to a dozen can be splatted over a couple of weeks.
We have not had any hedgehogs for a few years now but several badgers and a hedgehog or even two have fed here side by side. The badgers would nose the hogs out of the way if they wanted to move in on their share of the peanuts. Then the hogs hiss and might roll up but they were never intimidated by the badgers to the extent of running away.
I am of course aware of the TB/badger debate and live in the south west with a high density of badgers.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2011 at 12:27am

dont you think id make a good badger then?

whoops! sorry if ive repeated.
its just that its a very complex issue all round and whenever the subject comes up, i find conversation quickly mushrooms.
ive spent whole evenings answering questions and explaining the whys and wherefores etc to people at parties on occasion.
all because of the simple question "what do you do for a living?"
id rather have been dancing!
ive learned i reduce future questioning/argument a bit if i give my sources etc up front.
i certainly dont know whats for the best regarding TB.

active badger setts (like GCNs ) are quite common in suburban gardens in this area and even in the centre of town!

not hedgehogs though.
however, as youve noted, they do seem to "boom and bust" a bit.
so perhaps theyll return sometime.

yes im afraid last time i looked at the stats, Devon was the worst bTB county.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic