the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What do you do with your dead things?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you do with your dead things?
    Posted: 07 Mar 2011 at 9:57am

Is it illegal to sell badger skulls? Bad DadÆs known for years how much I hate his dead things and we went to Cliffe Castle musuem and the guy there caringly said that heÆd take Bad DadÆs collection of horrible things off him when he karks it cos it worried me about what IÆm to do with them when he snuffs it cos theyÆre just horrible and creepy. Anyway I was talking to Bad Dad last night and we got talking about flogging them on ebay and he said he wasnÆt sure if theyÆd be allowed to be sold for money cos of them being a protected species which I guess makes sense cos there could be baddie people in the world who kill badgers to get their skulls, not all skulls could be from natural causes and thatÆs be tragic if people did kill badgers for their skulls. Bad DadÆs skulls are roadkills, he had a ærot boxÆ which heÆd put dead badgers into cos he said foxes would make off with their heads if he left them at the side of the road and went looking for them later. IÆll give that guy at the museum Bad DadÆs dead stuff but I was just curious if it is legal to trade in dead things? What about stuffed badgers too?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2011 at 12:49pm

It ainÆt never crossed my tiny mind that tree rats are like trolls, youÆre dead good at anaylsing things Ben. AinÆt no wonder I dig squirrels then, weÆre so alike and hearing about them being shot is so distressing. I hope people that shoot them get struck by lightning or slip and drown in the bath or somethinÆ cos theyÆre mean.

IÆd love a squirrel in my bed. YouÆre so lucky Ben. I think my only animal encounter in my house was Bad Dad pretending to chase a stray dog out of the house whilst I was sat on the loo and he left a pretend sh*t in my bedroom. My experience wasnÆt as nice as yours.

Agilis, you oughta try shoplifting if you wanna cut your food bills. But donÆt do it in Aldi as the staff there are rather observant.

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2011 at 7:07am
I FIND PLENTY OF DEAD STUFF ON THE ROAD WHERE I LIVE
USUALY TAKE IT HOME AND EAT IT IF IT AINT TO FLY BLOWN.
SAVES ON THE FOOD BILLS KEITH
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 6:51pm
great pix. thanks for posting BS.

liked the 1st 1 best.
DOWN the tree

theyre such agile animals arent they?

Grey Squirrels remind me a bit of these Internet Forum Trolls ive read about on Wikipedia recently;

IE
increasingly COMMON, often viewed as DAMAGING to the environment, very PERSISTENT and frequently UNWELCOME.

but also SKILFUL and (for some) INTERESTING/AMUSING with an irreverent and admirable SPIRIT.

i suppose squirrels are easier to physically locate and shoot legally with a rifle than trolls tho*.

HERES A TRUE SQUIRREL STORY;

when i was a kid a squirrel came in through the open front door of the house one hot, summer afternoon.
my dad, my sister and i, searched top to bottom trying to find it.
with no luck at all. no glimpse or sound.

after a while we gave up looking.
reasoning that since we had so many open windows (owing to the heatwave) it had probably found its own way out.
so we all sat down on my bed for a rest.

then dad noticed a strange lump under the otherwise perfectly-made blankets and bedsheet.
(duvets werent invented chez-Rigsby yet - this was the 70's you know!. )

he then ever-so gently prodded the protrusion with his index finger and (wondering aloud) said slowly,

"whaaatssss................................ that???!!"

we all jumped out of our skins as the squirrel shot out from under the covers like a bullet, exited the window to the porch roof, briefly posed there cheekily (as if sticking the V's up at us)
and then leaped bravely into the upper reaches of our nut tree.
many feet away.

a very memorable wildlife encounter.

not to mention...

ben

* not me. ive never owned a gun.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:57am

IÆm with Sky but IÆm not subscribed to the package that has animal programmes, IÆm too tight fisted to want to subscribe to Sky, plus Sky phone staff are abysmally useless and annoying as hell with their incompetence, I never want to have to deal with Sky customer services ever again!!!!! TheyÆre cr*p.

People donÆt like squirrels do they? I think theyÆve got the cuddle factor but my next-door neighbour hates them eating her bird food. She tries to put it in difficult to reach areas and squirrel proof things but the older experienced squirrels can use her washing line as a tightrope and hang down and get some. Sometimes the feeder falls off along with the tree rat (my ganddad Ken used to call them that) and smashes to the ground. They still ainÆt managed to get owt from her new big bird feeder with cage around it though. It makes me really sad to watch them try time and time again but go away empty mouthed. & the next-door neighbour says East Riddlesden Hall has squirrel culls!!! I like the squirrels. TheyÆre dead cool and cute things, itÆs mean to be mean to animals, I want them all to thrive.

HereÆs some activity from a couple of years back at the back of my house in next-doorÆs garden. TheyÆre so entertaining to watch.

Them feeders are now gone and replaced with anti-squirrels ones.

Regarding chapatis, just common sense to use your hands or feet ainÆt it!

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 7:46pm
Yes peanuts are probably easy food as you don't have to peel it! I put out dried fruit with the nuts in winter for extra nourishment.
Like with herps there are things you learn by watching. Mother badgers bring their cubs to eat and a mother will lie down dog like (head resting on front paws) and let the cubs eat first. I once made some chapatis that turned out a bit tough so I put two out for the badgers. Now the chapatis were flat on the ground and I thought it would be interesting to see how they tackled them The answer was walk up to them press a foot down firmly on one edge and flick it up and then grab it in the mouth. How did they know to do this? Presumably chapatis are not everyday badger food.
Grey squirrels don't have the cuddle factor do they?
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 7:09pm
if youve got Sky then they are sue. seen occasional documentaries and hedgehogs are frequent on uk animal sos/rescue type progs.

unlike injured grey squirrels.
which is odd.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:17am

I wish there were hog documentaries on telly, IÆd love to watch one. I saw the thing about bears recently, a 3 parter following study bears and the cubs. I was horrified in shooting season. How can people want to kill the cute things? People are horrible.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:14am

I talked to Bad Dad about why badgers eat hedgehogs and he said all the dead hogs heÆs found just have their skins left and that the badgers eat them for food and it ainÆt that they want to murder them cos theyÆre competition for food. & he said that they could eat peanuts side by side and that the badgers wouldnÆt eat the hogs then cos the peanuts are far tastier. Suzi, hope the hogs you saw with the badgers made a quick exit after peanut time.

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:09am

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic