the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first herp sightings of 2011??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 5:04pm
A male Adder was basking on the bank above the entrance to Tilly Whim
caves at Durlston Country Park, Swanage, at 13.00 today. The diary in the
park shop said six had been seen.
Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:13pm
Scale

I also had a grass snake out basking today (Thursday) when I was up on the moors doing adder surveys. Its about four weeks earlier than we had last year. Was also at the site where we saw those last year but no grass snakes only 5 adders.
Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 8:39am
Chris

Interestingly the main GS hibernation site high up on a
steep W/SW facing slope was a no show, even though it is
only 50 yards from the second area (area 2)

Area 2 is a small Bracken covered mound (5m x 5m) with
derelict rabbit burrows, slap bang in the middle of wet
heath/blanket bog and Sphagnum mire. This means firstly
that it receives sun all day and from all aspects and
secondly the hibernation lair/s must be fairly shallow as
(at maximum) the mound lies only 1m above the water
table. I'm sure the snakes in area 2 are more aware of
favourable weather change and appear more flexible with
their first and final show before and after the core
hibernation period. It can't be just a coincidence that
the last G snake i saw basking in October was at the same
hibernacula and perhaps more significantly it was a
different individual (a small male) to the one i saw
yesterday.
Rob
frogworlduk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogworlduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 6:14pm
had 30-40 common lizards out in hartley witney yesternay. no snake sightings yet though
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 4:27pm
First slow worm in North Wales for me this year.A month earlier than last year.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 5:53pm
Lots of toads were crossing the wet road on Friday night near Norton St. Philip, Frome, Somerset. One, in front of my car, pale in the headlights, was edging forward slowly as cars swept over it; stopping and flinching and then moving on. I parked as near as I could, to try to go back and rescue it, but a car killed it as I watched. There's something about their soft vulnerability, their patience and their plodding determination that makes one feel aghast and helpless.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 10:02am

Originally posted by Richard2 Richard2 wrote:

but a car killed it as I watched

I hate that.

I've got spawn in my pond. Not as much as last year though.  Saw heaps near the moors though but dunno if it's gonna be safe come summer.  Last year that ditch dried up but the ditch at the other side of the road stayed wet.  However right now the other side isn't deep at all so I didn't think I should move the spawn over, thought it might be best leaving it where it is to take it's chance.

dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2011 at 11:04pm
loads of frog spawn in Llandegla as well just no frogs,still havent seen one.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2011 at 10:46am

Saw loadsa spawn at the golf course pond and froggies swimming in there but I stood on some by accident. It was probably screwed anyway cos it looked like it had been in the sun all day on the concrete, I scooped up what I could and put it in the water but I presume the tinsy tads inside were already dead or too far gone, the spawn was real sticky. So why did mummy frog let out her spawn at the side, do you think she had like incontinence?

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 12:10pm

Found a right big newt the other night just about to cross the road (get splattered). Biggest one IĘve seen. Bit miffed that I had to relocate it though, felt I had to cos it was gonna walk straight into a wall at the other side of the road and walk along the road for ages so I took it about 70 metres from where I found it (nearest safe spot to where I found it), hope it donĘt get lost and finds a mate. Innit true that they pair up and travel to ponds together? I looked for its friend but couldnĘt see it (plus it wasnĘt squashed the next morning ), IĘve seen them traveling together before. It was a real fluke I didnĘt stand on it actually cos my torch was defunked and I was pacing the road in the dark, thankfully it was near a street light but around that area itĘs pitch black on part of the pavement, IĘd never forgive myself if I stood on one but I have a feeling itĘs only a matter of time.

Also got a second clump of frog spawn the other night in my pond and the golf course pond has about 2 square metres of spawn.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic