the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first herp sightings of 2011??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Richard2 Richard2 wrote:

Lots of toads were crossing the wet road on Friday night near Norton St. Philip, Frome, Somerset. One, in front of my car, pale in the headlights, was edging forward slowly as cars swept over it; stopping and flinching and then moving on. I parked as near as I could, to try to go back and rescue it, but a car killed it as I watched. There's something about their soft vulnerability, their patience and their plodding determination that makes one feel aghast and helpless.

We've had about 40 toads crossing the road so far but no sign of the major migration yet. The toads have been crossing in small numbers but we're hoping that the big one will happen soon. First capture nights were at the end of Feb.

It's just a waiting game but then the weather hasn't been on our side lately.

frogworlduk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogworlduk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2011 at 9:35pm
same here in camberley. not a frog or toad at all at my local spot. comes to something when i've already seen sand lizards but no toads this year!! 
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 11:56am

The first batch of toads were out last night, 9 degrees up here at night and I got 5. Looks like IÆll be out with my bucket for the next few nights if it stays warm.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
  Share Topic