the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

wierd lizard/amphibian in somerset

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: wierd lizard/amphibian in somerset
    Posted: 28 Jul 2003 at 12:23pm

I would just like to add that it might be best to complete any disturbance before the end of September start of October, when the newts will be slowing down for the winter and less able to find new hiding places if moved. They may even find places under the new patio of use in future years .

TimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2003 at 11:46pm
 Thanks Martin & caleb for advice. Yes I should have typed 'Pond'. Do I need to do anything to protect them. I was planning to build a new patio. If i Trash that bit of the garden, will they just move to another bit by the pond, or will it kill em. Aren't newts a bit rare ? 
Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2003 at 12:34pm
Caleb, you're quite right. I apologise for getting confused over metrication still!! (Just what was wrong with feet and inches?)
Martin.
Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2003 at 6:33pm
Hello Tim, welcome. Sounds to me like they are young newts. Smooth or palmate perhaps. They are often found under things. Where you typed pound above was that a typo for pond? Youngsters often do look quite different to adults in these things. When you found them did they just sit there or vanish at speed?

Martin.
TimC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2003 at 6:22pm

I know nothing abouy reptiles etc, but I've never seen this in UK. I checked around the web but can't see anything like it. I wonder if anyone could be of help.

Smooth velvety skinned, yellowish brown black/brown mottling, flat arrow shaped head, very pale underneath, 7cm long. lizard style feet (no webs) flat taperd tale with no crests.

There was a pair, one larger than the other, hiding under a rock where my shed used to be. near my pound. However the newt page i looked at didn't look like these guys. I've lived in the middle east and these looked like small house gecko's but had smoothyellwish brown velvety skin.

thanks for any replies

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic