the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wirral Adders

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Sanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wirral Adders
    Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 11:43am
Hello there. I just stumbled accross this forum whilst
doing some research. I was hoping that I may be able to
call upon your knowledge to help me track down some
Adders.
I live on the Wirral peninsula and until recently I was
under the impression that the Wirral did not contain any
snakes. This was until I was informed that there is a
resident population living in an area of heathland called
Caldy hill. I was hoping that I might be able to get out
there and take some photographs of the little fellas.
I've been up there a number of times now without success
and tbh I don't really know where to start when it comes
to tracking down Adders. Is it simply pot luck or is
there method to the madness. I am aware that they often
come out to 'bask' in the sunshine to warm themselves up
and that they are usually seen sat by pathways in a sunny
spot.
What is the best time of day/year to see them? Is anyone
on here aware of this population on Caldy hill?
Or am chasing shadows.
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 1:45pm
Hi - I live in Northwich and "herp" in Cheshire and I may be wrong but I've never heard of a population of Adders at Caldy.
David Sanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Sanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 2:05pm
Hi Dave,

On the public information sign at the entrance to Caldy
hill it actually specifically mentions Adders and Common Lizard as being resident.
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 4:01pm
Blimey - you live and learn, that said it gives similar on interpretational boards around Beeston Castle but I don't think they're actually found there. Keep us informed though as Caldy would be nearer than my usual Adder spot in North Wales.
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 6:24pm

hi

i was born and raised on the wirral and thought the various heaths/commons around caldy, thurstaton etc only supported common lizards. hope i'm wrong.

will be very interested in your findings though.

if you don't have any luck you might have to travel to north wales or there is a small population near market drayton thats about an hour away.

happy herping

tim

dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2010 at 10:16pm
I must admit I have always been told there were no adders on the wirral in fact the only snakes close to there I have heard of are grass snakes in the canals around Ellesmere Port.
Dave W would be interested to know if your North Wales spots are the same as mine ,perhaps you could pm me,if they arent I could possibly point you in the right direction.

Dave
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
David Sanderson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David Sanderson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 11:44am
thank you all for your responses. I shall keep you
updated on anything I find. The only reason I am
searching there is due to the fact that it specifically
mentions adders on the sign at the entrance to the hill.
It seems like a perfect habitat for them. Just on a
different note, there is a mixture of gorse bushes and
bracken - where are they more likely to be found?

PS - I know I am new on here but you wouldn't be able to
let me know a rough location near Market Drayton where I
can go and look for Adders. I would love to see one in
the wild. I understand though if you would prefer to keep
it a secret.

Regards

Dave

Edited by Dava
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 5:33pm
Dave,I can show you a site in North Wales where you would be almost guaranteed an adder if you want to meet up.Its a bit out in the wilds but I am up there again in the next couple of weeks if you are interested.We may even have a reptile ramble there in a month or two.

best wishes
Dave
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2010 at 6:02pm

hi again

i did a quick google for adders on caldy hill after your post. there are a few statements to the tune of "adders can be found on the heath" but no specific references or sightings that i could find, so i'm still a bit skeptical but hope i'm wrong. keep us posted.

adders can be very difficult to find when you are looking somewhere new and on your own. i'm not the most experienced adder spotter myself but my advice would be that both gorse and bracken are good but more importantly, try to find areas that are slightly raised, well drained, face southish and are sheltered from cooling breezes by, for example, a line of trees. these areas create there own little micro climates and tend to feel a couple of degrees warmer than surounding areas which is especially beneficial to reptiles emerging in late feb and early march.

however, you may have already missed the best time as many adders may already be dispersing to where they could start turning up anywhere where there are surface dens and food.

it took me a long time to find my first adder at my local site and eventually i took the decision to go looking for lizards, which i love anyway and could see easily, then see what else turned up. i found a few random adders that way before stumbling across a hibernation area last spring which was in a place i had walked past hundreds of times over the previous year or so! i've also started seeing gras snakes there too.

i will pm you with info re market drayton.

tim

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2010 at 4:23pm
Hi everyone

If you go to www.adder.org.uk and follow the "Results so far" link you will see quite a few adder sightings recorded on the Wirral - particularly around the coast. I can't give you specific locations at the moment and these sightings are mostly by ordinary members of the public so some, at least, may not be reliable.

All the best

Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic