the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > What is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Unidentified snake-like creature

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Unidentified snake-like creature
    Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 7:39pm
Hi everyone
Today I received a fairly detailed sighting report which has got me stumped. The lady concerned caught, in her garden (where both Grass Snakes and Slowworms are seen), a snake or snake like creature. Sadly she only held/saw it for a few seconds.
It is described as one and half pencils long - say24-25cms, thin with a pronounced head, black or near black in colour with two bright red spots one each side of the head, and possibly some yellow on the head. It was found under a paving slab where she usually finds her slowworms, next to her pond.
Her location incidentally is Ambleside, Cumbria.
Any ideas?
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 8:48pm
I'd go for a small grass snake Chris; dark olive-green with yellow/orange collar.  Seen near a pond, circumstantial I know, but fits the MO for grassies.

Cheers

Will
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2009 at 9:29pm
My first thought also Will - but the lady is familiar with Grass snakes and didn't seem to think this was distinctly different.
Chris
Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2009 at 9:35am
melanistic grassy possibly?
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic