the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Common Frog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tree Frog

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maldinix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tree Frog
    Posted: 25 Jun 2003 at 1:53pm

Hi there.  Would anybody in this forum have some knowledge of Tree Frogs? We've had one as a "pet" for 18 months now, and we need to find it a new home. I understand its a European Tree Frog. We found the wee thing in a packet of Coriander imported to Dublin from Wales.  We nursed him back to health and he seems fine after over a year. Any ideas or comments you may have will be appreciated. Thanks Paul, Dublin.

Matt Wilson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Wilson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2003 at 7:42pm

Paul,

I have kept the European Tree-frog for some time now, are you sure this is what it is? How big is the frog?, normally they grow no larger than 5cm, and unless your specimen is a minority it should have a dark stripe passing from the snout to the back legs. Doubt it is a common frog as i am sure i wild caught one would be dead by now. Try to post a photo if possible.

Matthew Wilson

maldinix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maldinix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2003 at 12:34pm
Thanks for the replies. I'll try to get a picture, although he's hard to find at the best of times as he is small, about the size of my thumbnail. We keep him in a large glass tank, with nice leafy plant for cover etc....He's fed crickets, which we breed ourselves for the purpose of feeding him......It's a pretty singular diet but it's the best we could come up with. He also has water (an upturned jam jar lid) for drinking/bathing! etc.. My friend could describe his colouring better, but we've noticed it does change from time to time.  She is moving to London, and cannot take him with her, and although I don't mind keeping him, I can't stand the crickets!! So, we think its best to find a proper enthusiast that can take care of him (maybe he's a she, we can't tell). And apart from his method of travel to arrive in our hands, we're not sure about repatriating him back to where he came. Talk again soon. Paul
Caro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2003 at 8:17pm

Hi All,

I was really interested to read that a tree frog had found it's way into a packet of Coriander from Wales, because my partner and I are ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that we saw a tree frog in our orchard, in Wales.  The orchard has a stream running alongside it which is bordered on both sides by hedgerow.  The frog we saw was about 4-5cm long, nose to bum, a mid to pale bright green, with black flashes along the side of his head.  I have been trying to find out what type of frog this is on the internet just now, and it seems we have a tree frog!

We have just moved to a house with a lot of trees, a pond, a stream, and a LOT of wildlife.  We have been there a fortnight now and have seen at least 7 common toads (a VERY big one, two VERY tiny ones, and a variety of in-between sizes), a newt (not sure what sort but it was about 8cm long and very dark).  All of these live under the patio and come out reliably just as the sun goes down, except the newt, who is very elusive.

Is this possible?  Could this be a european tree frog? I don't see how it could be anything else!

test View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote test Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2003 at 8:53pm
Sounds like a great amphibian garden

It is possible it was a european tree frog, they do turn up now and again.

They have a very distinctive call, a kind of KRAK.... KRAK..., so listen out for it in the spring!

Edited by Gemma Fairchild
Caro View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2003 at 2:54pm
That's great to know!  One further question, is the tree frog likely to linger around, or will it be moving on?  I ask because I would like to know whether it will be worth my while sitting at the bottom of the orchard with a flask of tea and the digicam in case we see the frog again.  I want to have a photo to show because a lot of people haven't believed me when I've said what I saw.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic