the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Portland Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris the Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Portland Dorset
    Posted: 27 Mar 2008 at 12:43pm

Has anyone got any knowledge of likely adder spots on Portland (Dorset).

The last two I've seen were both during the month of September and were on paths basking in the afternoon.  Several friends of mine have seen a few during the summer months.

I've asked a few people on the Island and have a couple ideas as to where the dens are.

Is it possible that due to the wind and cooler air temperatures near the sea that the snakes don't start appearing until quite late.  I've not seen any so far this year.

I'd be grateful of any information/local knowledge.

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2008 at 5:46pm
Boris,

I don't know Portland very well, but I have heard that it is not particularly good for native reptiles, although there are of course a lot of introduced wall lizards. There are also a lot of slow worms in the quarries.

A friend has told me of spotting adders on the west side of the peninsular, close by the old admiralty research site. Best of luck !
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Boris the Berus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris the Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 6:25am

I went out on Portland yesterday and only found a small slow worm.  

These two adders were seen 1 year apart.  The small brown one was seen in September 2006 and the larger green one was seen exactly one year later almost to the day. 

These adders were found 150 metres apart.  I've seen a lizard and loads of slow worms in the same area.

Sorry about the poor quality of the phone pictures.  I now take my camera everywhere now that I've started to actively search for reptiles.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris the Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 1:21pm

Still no adders.  Found these today and yesterday......

Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2008 at 7:10pm
I think it's a year to today that I was at Portland. A cracking day weatherwise after a dismal cold spell I think. The day started brill within a few minutes of leaving the car we were looking at a quarry above the sea which was crawling with wall lizards. I thought this is great we'll see loads of stuff today. Funny thing after we left that quarry we never saw another reptile all day! We poked about in all the likely places and walked round both sides of the Bill - nowt!
Suz

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris the Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 11:56am

Portland this afternoon.......

I could only get a couple pictures of the adder because he heard me coming and was off like a shot.  Hopefully I'll have better luck next time!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris the Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 12:37pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris the Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 2:07pm
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Boris the Berus Boris the Berus wrote:

Portland this afternoon.......

I could only get a couple pictures of the adder because he heard me coming and was off like a shot.

To quote Lou Reed, "...he was a she..."

Off to take a walk on the wild side,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris the Berus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2008 at 3:15pm

What are the tell tail (excuse the pun) signs to look for when trying to work out the sex of an adder?

In particular what gives it away in these photos?

Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic