the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder Pics 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2008 at 5:31pm
You had a good day Peter. My husband was gardening and then went out for a walk in a short sleeved shirt! I stuck to a fleece but was plenty warm enough. Saw a few honey bees (I think they were) and we've had bumble bees out for two weeks. Our garden is pretty good for early butterflies but none so far. East Devon BTW.
Suz
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 5:52am
Is that one of the sites we looked at last year Peter?  I was out yesterday and saw the same animal as from friday, also 2 lizards out -3 down on friday.  I suspect that may be due to the cold snap on friday night, it was down to -2 or -3 here.

Mark 
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 6:54am

Hi Mark

Yes it was - close to, but not making use of, the corroline and felt we put down.  I haven't seen any common lizards so far this year (last year there was one out basking in January).   Just wondering whether to go out looking today, very sunny again but a couple of degrees colder than this time yesterday.

Peter

Peter Vaughan
clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2008 at 1:02pm

Hi all

Saw our first two adders of the year at Pulborough Brooks in West Sussex in glorious weather today.

happy hunting

Clare and Julzz

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2008 at 4:19pm
Those of you who attended the Herpetofauna Workers Meeting last weekend and saw my presentation on adders will have seen that one of the points that I made was that they were appearing earlier in the spring than in the past. Derek Whiteley in his 1997 book on the Reptiles & Amphibians of Sheffield Area had stated that their earliest record for adders was 22 March and I showed that for the Make the Adder Count Surveys we had had the first sightings in mid February with last year being the earliest (3rd Feb).
Now after years of searching Derek has at last found a January adder, with just one out basking on 28th January this year. At this rate in another 10 years they will be out on Christmas Day!

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Danial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2008 at 4:28am
Can't wait to read your forthcoming paper, Tony.

Have seen my first Adder of 2008 here in Surrey.
Consultant Ecologist and Amphibians Officer of Surrey Amphibian and Reptile Group
www.surrey-arg.org.uk

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2008 at 9:37am
OK I guess I believe you all now .

Beautiful dark male from Frensham a couple of hours ago.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2008 at 10:17am

Nice one Steve. 

When I went out to look at 12:40 today I couldn't find any Adders or Slow Worms out where I had seen them both days last weekend, - bright sun again but temperature was only 5C, RH was mid-50s %, and away from shelter there was a cool breeze from the South East.  No butterflies out either.  However later on, at my local Grass Snake site (14:00, when temperatures had risen to almost a whole 6C!) I did see my first Common Lizard of the year - will probably post to the appropriate thread later on.

Peter

Peter Vaughan
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2008 at 12:41pm
Went out to one of the commons in East Devon today. My first visit this year. It was sunny, not a cloud in the sky, but a mean little wind. We did our normal snake-spotting circuit but only found one adder. It was hard to see and tightly curled in some bleached grass underneath overhanging heather. Saw 3 lizards which were up to speed.
Suz
discoferret View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discoferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2008 at 4:56am
Hello, well im of to go adder spotting and hopefully will be posting some pics. Perfect day. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
  Share Topic