the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder Pics 2008

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Robbielab View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbielab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adder Pics 2008
    Posted: 15 Jun 2008 at 12:47pm
Head shot of a very "friendly" adder I found under a tin. She didn't move when I lifted it... or when I slowly moved the lens to within 2cm of her nose!

Robbie
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2008 at 5:57am

Was looking at a local site yesterday with a friend where Lizards and Slow-worms have been sighted before.  Adders had been apparently sighted in the past about a km away.    

However, seeing a female adult basking next to a sheet of coroline took me totally by surprise.  It slithered under the sheet after a little while and upon lifting it to get some pics, was happy to see a male that was already under the sheet.

I don't know if you can see, but the female will be sloughing soon.

Mark

Edited by arvensis
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 7:23pm
I got out to Burnham Beeches yesterday and had my second best day ever on the snake front:  13 Grassies and 3 Adders.  Interestingly, until now Adders have been thicker on the ground at Burnham Beeches than Grassies, but that seems to change now we are getting in to the summer.  I didn't expect to find any snakes close to the hibernaculum, but this first one was right there.  I don't think it's a female.

arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 6:49am
Originally posted by axel axel wrote:

The conservation organisation which manages the reserve also seems hell-bent on turning the heathland into a lawn, and regularly does large-scale removal of vegetation and horses are grazed on the land for most of the year. 

To call themselves a 'conservation organisation' would appear to be a bit of a joke then.

Mark
axel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2008 at 4:41am

Originally posted by armata armata wrote:

Thats interesting. What are the barriers for dispersal, farmland? Also, whats the pop density like, and I wonder how they compete for resources?
You probably have good small rodent/shrew pops, what about lizards?

The reserve is surrounded by gardens and farmland.  People in the surrounding houses have reported adders in their gardens (lucky people!).  The conservation organisation which manages the reserve also seems hell-bent on turning the heathland into a lawn, and regularly does large-scale removal of vegetation and horses are grazed on the land for most of the year.  This has limited usable habitat for the adders, and the local's say the adders are now much less common than in the past. 

The pop. density is pretty low.  Highest headcounts for the reserve have been 7-8 in a day. We saw 3 females and a juvenile last sunday.  We have found offspring in 2007 and 2006, so the population seems to be breeding OK.  There is a reasonable population of lizards, and lots of evidence of rodent activity. 

here's a pic of a female from sunday

axel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2008 at 8:46am

Originally posted by armata armata wrote:

The males are probably dispersing right now, do you know where the summer grounds are?

The site is a fairly isolated, small nature reserve which I guess limits the potential for dispersal.  We have identified three definite hibernation locations.  The snakes do disperse from these in the summer, and spread out around the reserve, although the hibernation locations remain the hotspots for sightings throughout the year.

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2008 at 2:48am
Hi Tony,

When you say the males are dispersing...what about the non-reproductive females? do they also disperse to summer grounds?
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
axel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2008 at 7:53am

Hi Tony,

the photos are a few weeks old.  I have been working solidly on my dissertation project for the last couple of weeks which has prevented any serious herping.  Incidentally, my project is being supervised by Wolfgang and I have been analysing lots of the Bitis samples that you have sent him.

The top photo was from a couple of weeks ago.  Although it was hot, I got out very early in the morning before the snakes had warmed up enough to be fully alert.  The photo of 3 males was taken before the main breeding period and, as you point out, 2 of the males are pre-shed.  Mating activity does seem to have peaked on Anglesey.  It seems to be at that irritating time of year when the males are remaining hidden and the gravid females are not yet basking for prolonged periods.

cheers.

axel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote axel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 9:41am

Continuing the theme of welsh adders... here are some pics from Anglesey. 

This shot of an adult male was taken while he was basking just a couple of feet away from me.  I spent around 30mins crouched on hands and knees photographing him - ended up with a bad back, but it was well worth it!

and a shot of three males basking together

dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2008 at 8:01am
Another welsh adder.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
  Share Topic