the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aesculapian snake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2011 at 10:22pm
aah, just looked up both and I would probably say montpellier looks most likely but Im  certainly not positive of that.Had convinced myself it was an aesculapian over the last  couple of years.Cheers for that Wolfgang will check my ranges better next time .
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:09pm
Well I spent several hours searching in vain for these elusive creatures yesterday until Will found me and pointed me in the right direction. So a huge "Thank you!" to Will.
Here's a couple of shots taken in-situ of the aesculapian snakes showing how adapt they are to climbing trees and bushes. 

It amazes me how these snakes just sit there unnoticed and unbothered whilst hundreds of people walk past them every day. I'm going to have to make another trip one day to get some better shots but for now I'm very pleased that it wasn't a wasted trip thanks to Will.

Best regards,
Jason
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:10pm
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:52pm
Thanks Jay; pleasure to show a couple to you, and great in situ shots too. Cheers, Will
Ophiuchus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ophiuchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:08pm
Great pics, as expected!  I hope one day I will have another reason to be in that area so i can get a shot that's better than the one i have were you able to get quite close or did you use a zoom?
Ophiuchus *~*the serpent bearer*~*
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:21pm
Thanks guys. I used the Canon 100mm 2.8 IS lens which meant that I had to get pretty close. These shots were taken from about 1.5-2ft away. These two snakes were totally ignoring me. I was even able to carefully lift a couple of leaves that were obscuring their faces without scaring them off. The real difficulty was the height of the bush that they were perched on top of. A step ladder would have come in very handy and would've resulted in getting better shots. I'm very happy with these for now though.

Best regards,
Jason
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:28pm
- good enough pics to ID number 7 (above) and 27 (below)!
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:35pm
I'd love to know them all individually. It must make you feel pretty protective over them Will?
What surprised me is how small they look when coiled up. They are a very long slender snake indeed.
An adder with a head size similar to these two would probably only be about 2ft in length, and a grass snake probably only about 3ft. When number 7 (thanks for the ID) finally slithered off it just kept on unwinding and going and going . . . .
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:23pm
great shots jay...well done.

tim
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:28pm
well done Jay and Will.Smile
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
  Share Topic