the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aesculapian snake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aesculapian snake
    Posted: 25 Aug 2007 at 7:54pm
Just a quick note to confirm that there is indeed an Aesculapian snake colony present in central London...not far from London Zoo.

One was found and photographed by four RAUK members last weekend, following news of a recent capture in the area. I'll let Rick add more detail and pics in this thread.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
yellowhammer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yellowhammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 9:16am
What fresh lunacy is this?! More info would be greatly appreciated!  
Cheers, Ian
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2007 at 4:44pm
See the thread intitled 'The Camden Creature'.

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 3:33am

BTW Steve

How big was the one you found? The one I found was about a metre long, although my mate Ron thought it was more like 6 foot!

p.s. Good to have y'all back.

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 5:46am
Rehi...

I'll nudge Rick to add some further details, it was his find

The snake was probably a sub-adult male, measuring almost exactly 2 ft. Some of the folks present have better pictures, but here's one that gives an indication of size.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 8:04am
Should've let me know about this, I would've liked to gone with you all and find them.

Mark
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 9:13am

Its near the Zoo eh

I would like to have details of that if that is possible through pm

Any chance of further surveys?

Regards

Jon

Check this beauty out - Essex (not from a colony though)

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 10:02am
HI Steve & Rick well found and good picture was it near the canal embankment  & did it bite you? keith

Edited by AGILIS
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 12:08pm

Welcome back everyone!

I'm a bit slow off the mark on this one after 3 days camping in the woods on the North Downs Way. 

The snake was was indeed found close to the canal embankment and Keith, yes, the first thing it did was sink it's teeth in to me!  This along with the fact it was in exactly the same spot as another recent Aesculapian sighting, led me to believe it was not a funny looking Grass Snake with a really bad temper!

These 2 recent sightings of juveniles does not prove scientifically there is a breeeding population there, though it points in that direction more precisely than if an adult snake had been found.  I have no idea of how many there are:  but it only took 10 - 15 minutes to locate this specimen.

arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2007 at 1:38pm
Anyone up for a little trip to find some more? I have 2 weeks off in September so I'm available quite a bit.

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic