the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aesculapian snake

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 11:50am

A thought just occurred to me

Is there slight possibility that snakes from regents are making their way back into the pet trade?

J

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 2:29pm
Hmm.. No need to buy in stock, just harvest a few juveniles. Was this the original plan?!!

Anybody for next Saturday (8th)?

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2007 at 4:24pm
I may not be able to make next saturday - I may be working.  The 9th(Sunday) and the following Wednesday are also no good for me.   Any other day should be ok.

Cheers, Mark
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 3:19am

Here's a piece about the Welsh Mountain Zoo population.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pressoffice/pressreleases/stories/2006/ 05_may/16/snake.shtml

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 5:25am
Originally posted by Caleb Caleb wrote:

Originally posted by herpetologic2 herpetologic2 wrote:

A thought just occurred to me

Is there slight possibility that snakes from regents are making their way back into the pet trade?

J

I don't think there's really any demand for Aesculapians in the pet trade- people I've known who've bred them in recent years have had trouble giving them away, let alone selling them.

Don't see why it would be a problem, though...

Doesn't Chris Mattison breed longissimus?. The adults colouration is not exactly striking so I can see why there's a lack of demand compared to say Zamenis Situla which I think most would agree is Europe's prettiest ratsnake.

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 6:07am
Two little things to remember:

1. At the moment, you need a licence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act to release or even re-release an Aesculapian snake - so picking one up in Regent's Park is OK, as is selling it, keeping it or indeed killing it, but putting it back again is illegal. Good job all the photos posted so far, and the ones that will be posted in the future, are in situ!

2. Under new EU legislation coming in, you will also need a permit to own, move, sell etc. Aesculapian snakes, as they are protected under EU law, so it will be illegal to collect them as well.

Always best to know what the legal situation is before deciding what to do, and especially before posting about it in a public forum

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 6:21am

Originally posted by Wolfgang Wuster Wolfgang Wuster wrote:

Two little things to remember:

1. At the moment, you need a licence under the Wildlife and Countryside Act to release or even re-release an Aesculapian snake - so picking one up in Regent's Park is OK, as is selling it, keeping it or indeed killing it, but putting it back again is illegal. Good job all the photos posted so far, and the ones that will be posted in the future, are in situ!

2. Under new EU legislation coming in, you will also need a permit to own, move, sell etc. Aesculapian snakes, as they are protected under EU law, so it will be illegal to collect them as well.

Always best to know what the legal situation is before deciding what to do, and especially before posting about it in a public forum

Cheers,

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,

Sorry to go slightly off topic but the new EU legislation is one of interest to me as I keep CB Fire Salamanders and Marbled Newts, I have no records to say when I bought these etc so am concerned with what the potential outcome may be?. I've had these many years now and don't particularly want to lose them. Any idea when the new legislation will come into force?

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 7:26am

Thankyou Caleb, it therefore appears I'm breaking the law with my Marmoratus (not to mention my Bombina Variegata) as I cannot prove these are CB. I will check out your post on Caudata also. Not entirely sure what to do now, I presume that I'll have to hand over the Marmoratus and Variegata to relevant authorities. What a fantastic start to my holiday!.

P.s, Good to see another former YHC member on here ;) 

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2007 at 7:59am

Originally posted by Caleb Caleb wrote:

Well, you're not actually breaking the law, you'd just find it difficult to prove it... in practice, it's extremely unlikely that you'd be prosecuted.

If you're really that worried about it, it might be worth contacting DEFRA about applying for a licence under the new regulation (and treating the animals as if they're WC)- DEFRA have already stated that there's a three month grace period to apply for licences.

I've found my caudata.org post, it's here.

Yes, I am indeed an ex-YHC member- long time ago now, though- did we ever meet?

I will be in touch with DEFRA, and thanks for the link as i did a search on Caudata but couldn't find your post. Regards YHC, yes we did meet on numerous occasions, mainly at the summer camps organised by Colin Fitzsimmons and Jan Clemons etc. Long time ago now (early 90's), also remember Chris Hallam whom I seem to remember was a friend of yours. One particular memory was of an 'enthusiastic' young American called John who's snake catching technique wouldn't of looked out of place on a Steve Irwin programme. And then there was Edward Santos and the whole 'Gingerly' thing. Great days in the wilds of Dorset but crap chips...

P.s, Apologies for taking this off-topic folks. 

st rick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote st rick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2007 at 11:53am
Well, it looks to be fine and sunny tomorrow morning and Friday if anyone feels like a walk in the park....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic