the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Associated Fauna and Flora
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Creepy crawlies

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote -LAF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2003 at 12:22pm
Hmmm, okay so if you're one of the unlucky ones an allergic reaction to Steatoda could be a bit further up the echelons of unpleasentness than I suggested. And Steatoda bites to children in Oz have been (succesfully!) treated with Latrodectus (Widows et al) anitivenom, but I'm still not going to have nightmares over it. But then, I'm one of those weird people who LIKES SPIDERS . Which brings me on to... the latest edition to our household... A large Argiope (wasp spider) that had made itself at home on the litterbin outside the ladies toilets of a campsite I stayed at on Monday night. Her name? Patsy 3. (Patsy 1 was a Salmon pink bird eater, Patsy 2 was a large Tegenaria gigantea). Anyway, she brightens up my desk no end it a satisfying demise to the flies that pester me relentlessly while I try and work. Speaking of which - Ouch Gemma, I've never had a reaction to horsefly bites, that sounds like it was pretty nasty. While I love herps and spiders I must say that I HATE horseflies (and Deerflies). To the point where when they land I will LET them bite as this drastically increases the chances of me splattering them before they can fly off. It probably defeats the object but I find one nip and a satisfying revenge far less stressful than having them buzzing round, folowing me while I flail my arms about like a demented windmill. Grrr! Did I mention I HATE them!?! (They do have pretty eyes though).

Cheers, Lee.   
Lee Fairclough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic