the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Camden Creature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 21>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 4:34pm
Thanks Dave; never found two actually intertwined before - tempting to think they could be male and female, but aside from one being bigger than the other and possibly with a broader head, I couldn't tell.  Drop us a PM Scale, when you're likely to be around and I'll give you some pointers or possibly meet up.  Reckon eggs are laid in leaf mould along the banks, several of which are in the Zoo grounds, but I've never found any shells to confirm this.
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 4:32pm
Another pic of the cuddling couple:

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 9:58am
No plans to go as yet, but will let you know.
Thanks very much Will
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:18am
Hi Will when did you take these pics and what was weather conditions is like also is there access restrictions? Keith

Edited by AGILIS - 01 Jul 2011 at 9:19am
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 9:49am
Hi Keith - it's a bumper year for them - perhaps due to warm spring, followed by rain, followed by more warmth.  Best temps, c21-23degC.  Can be found outside the zoo and within, but I'm sure that plenty are around in restricted areas, too.  In July/August they tend to be harder to spot, maybe because the ambient temp allows means they need to bask less openly, and maybe because they climb into the canopy (not something you have to consider with our natives..)

Cheers

Will
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 2:40pm
Cheers will interesting stuff looks like looking up as well as down, if I didnt hate London so much I would be tempted to do a look. ps I was born there but escaped keith
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2011 at 5:09pm
well, from the high of spotting a hatchling last week to the low today - snake number 1 horribly injured by a strimmer (my guess) causing a deep wound along much of the spine - one of the dangers of living in proximity to humans.  At least it seemed to be healing over, and the snake seemed fully mobile (so no spinal damage, I think) - they're resiliant animals, for sure.

AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2011 at 6:48pm
Will nice clear pic are they on both banks and both sides of the Zoo would I be right in saying the Camden side being better due to the sun. keith
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 6:55am
Hi Keith
I've actually found more on the south bank, which is north facing - exactly the opposite of what you'd expect from a reptile.  I have no idea why, although for a partly arboreal species maybe the aspect of a bank is less important than for a totally ground dwelling species.  Could be more rats on the zoo side, too, although there's plenty of them on the other bank too!
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2011 at 9:03am
Cheers Will" perhaps they dont like swimming? and as you say must be plenty of rats for food , so they are doing a great job Keith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 21>
  Share Topic