the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Aliens
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Camden Creature

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2011 at 7:00am
message for Wolfgang - you seem to be over the limit on pm's - can you email me at the Trust email - lehartrust@hotmail.com and I'll get back to you ASAP please?

cheers

Will
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:58pm
Specially for Ben...

managed to get an hour at lunch along the Canal, and saw a equal-top number of four snakes, including 3 which were new to me (ie not recorded before) giving a total of 23 animals to date, since July 2007.  This one was basking in a fairly exposed location with a big mammal bulge inside.  I guess after the horrible weather of the last week, these Italian immigrants were grateful for some warmth at last!

Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 9:23pm
thanks will yet another dazzler.
i wouldnt mind a look at these myself but must admit Colwyn seems more inviting than London - im bigcityphobic.

be interested to see a London habitat pic or two though. have you got any?

cheers, ben
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 8:45am
Cheers Ben!

have to admit, I'm no fan of cities myself, and I work in one...  However, I reckon it's precisely because these animals (and native reptiles like slowworms etc) manage to survive in the urban jungle under the noses of millions of neutral/hostile humans which gives urban reptiles and amphibians an extra dimension, in a way.  Anyway, here's a photo of typical habitat - not typical for our natives, with plenty of mature secondary woodland and scrub, but for these arboreal animals they seem to find things tolerable, at least:

will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 4:36pm
After four years and dozens of visits, I finally spotted a hatchling in the grass today (below a pair basking together in a bush, also from today)

Cheers

Will

tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 5:10pm
wow! great stuff will. you must be chuffed.

if they've managed to successfully breed over the last few cool wet summers then maybe they will survive for a few more generations.

tim

Edited by tim hamlett - 25 Jun 2011 at 5:11pm
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 5:22pm
Good stuff Will, must take a look up there again somewhen and see if I can see any more.   Did you find the one I saw and told you about?

Mark
will View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote will Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2011 at 6:23pm
Thanks Guys; Tim, I am chuffed - though I've yet to see any interesting behaviour from these enigmatic animals, including any hanky-panky, but I guess it must happen fairly often and the eggs must incubate successfully, as the hatchling shows, even in wet and cold summers as you point out.  Sorry Mark, I thought I'd emailed you about the big one you saw - yes, I saw it too - it was snake number 1 - ie the very first one I saw in 2007, still going strong.  I also saw one today of equal size, c 1.4m, which I hadn't seen since 2008.
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 10:48am
Any ideas on where they may be laying Will? I read that they require artificial heat sources to incubate their eggs, much the same way as Natrix and the key reason why they can sustain populations in our climate. 

I'd love to have a look next time i visit my London inlaws. It might help to take my mind off the hectic city bustle.....and the inlaws!  If so could i PM you and get some hotspots?  

Beautiful pictures, are the pair on top of an ornamental hedge?
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2011 at 2:32pm
great pic of the two together Will.Fab.

Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 21>
  Share Topic