the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Conservation > Habitat Loss
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 4:30am

David /Jon/ Paul,

this sounds like a great publication! When will it be available? (I'll buy two and post a copy to one Mr.D at EF). Also, where can we pick up a copy of the other journals mentioned?

As for the forest Jon, now that the group has been splintered (see I've even used a word carefully and not put decimated!) it is now difficult to assess what the range is....... But one very unusual observation you might like to record somewhere is this; and I do not think it is coincidence but of course I cannot prove it.... The distance (in paces!) from most prolific hibernation site to Spring mating sites (for those that do not stay close to hibernation sites all year about 20% - maybe non breeding Females) is 540 paces (closest count bar trips through brambles). The distance from mating sites to summer feeding grounds is 540 paces (same rule applies)..... How weird is that? That is why it is SOOOOO frustrating to have these studies interupted by four hooves. So many ponds are not used but which contain fish newts etc. there is still so much to uncover.

Rob

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 4:42am

Ps,

I vaguely remember one post on here, where I think Tony mentioned some goats that were used on Studland /Hartland (couldn't remember which) and that three escaped??? Or am I getting my subjects hopelessly mixed up?

Anyway, I was driving through said area yesterday and saw a dead goat (road kill!) laying on the verge...... So guys, its one down, two to go.

R

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 2:18pm

David,

well this poor fellow was on the verge on the hill coming up from Studland just before making the right hand bend inland toward Corfe castle. If it helps he looked like a tan and white Billy.

R

RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic