the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So what are your other interests?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2008 at 2:08pm
Good thing about the Bike is that it fits in the Boot (if you can call it that) of a Range Rover, (Hint Hint ) + 150+ mpg where as Big Blue gets about **** MPG  but that's 6 wheel drive so if you need a tow there's not much it won't shift ( ex Tank recovery )
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 3:31pm
often when herping up here in north wales I get to take pictures like this.This is the beluga on final approach to Broughton ,taken from a local lizard location.I can watch them land from there. 
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 5:19pm

is it named after a beluga whale by any chance?

tim

adamanteus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adamanteus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 5:41pm

My only real interest in aircraft is when I'm sitting on one, bound for some hot and exotic destination!

That said, I'd love to own a Stuka!

Edited by adamanteus
James.
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2008 at 7:07pm

Nice shot Dave, I've yet to see one in flight

Piccy of arrival at Le Touquet last month, not exactly exotic but a nice day out and lovely beach 

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 2:42am
Originally posted by dave fixx dave fixx wrote:

often when herping up here in north wales I get to take pictures like this.This is the beluga on final approach to Broughton ,taken from a local lizard location.I can watch them land from there.á

I almost expected to see a string attached to that, it looks like a balloon or something
O-> O+>
dave fixx View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dave fixx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 4:38pm
Its an awesome sight but I m yet to catch the airbus super jumbo on one of its rare flyovers.
@ Tim Im sure it will be named after the whale.
Dave Williams
davewilliamsphotography.co.uk
Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 3:26pm

I`ve enjoyed reading through this lot, interesting to see how many of us have "conflicting" interests.

Music wise, I like something of everything as long as it isn`t meatloaf.  Listening to that would be like torture to me.  Did I see a Gram Parsons fan somewhere in the backlog or is that just my imagination? 

Gemma, I saw the Mission a few times long ago also.

I`m also into bikes but prefer your more classic style cruisers, not the fast bikes with fairings (spelt wrong no doubt) so a bit of a poser really I suppose!

I also have had a life long interest in as well as a 7 year stab at self sufficiency and survival bushcraft type stuff, but my most passionate interest is the natural world.  I have a few "unusual" animals such as my colony of Egyptian Fruit bats.  I`ve also bred a few species of dart frogs in the past. The fruit bats bred four young this year.   Here`s a few pics of some of the group;

...and one of the babies from last year, the photo was quickly snapped whilst it`s mother was feeding and left the youngster at the roost.  I passed my fingers gently across it`s toes and it took hold;

BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 4:28am

peter

those bats really are very very cute.

gram parsons was me. what a shame he died so young.

tim

Peter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 3:23pm
Glad you like the bats Tim.   They are fascinating to watch.  As a group the social interaction is totally absorbing.  As the group has grown in size, so the behaviour observations have increased.  They seem to have relaxed and behave in what I percieve to be a more natural manner than when the group was smaller.  Apparently this species roosts in groups of a minimum of 50 animals up to 1000 or more individuals, so it would definately seem to be a case of the more the merrier as far as they are concerned.

Gram Parsons is played regularly in this house.  His appearance on the Byrds album "Sweet Heart of the Rodeo" made it their best album by a mile in my opinion.

Edited by Peter
BLF Dragonscapes Habitats officer
Amphibian and Reptile Conservation
e: peter.hill@arc-trust.org
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
  Share Topic