the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So what are your other interests?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So what are your other interests?
    Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 8:31pm

I was just wondering what other interests members have. We all come here because of our interest in native herps but I was wondering what other members lifelong interests are. I know many of us share an interest in photography, partly I guess from wanting to capture field experiences but what other stuff do you all get up to?

I'll start the ball rolling.

I've had two big interests in life, native herpetofauna and aircraft! Strange I know, but the aircraft thing led to a degree in aerospace engineering (yes, sorry it won over biology), which I have yet to finish because setting up M&G Ecology has kind of got in the way (you see the problems it causes having two disparate interests)! My whole life one has tugged against the other, I found myself sitting at a computer screen one day drawing a nut and bolt in Autocad (for some plane being built in the States that I would never actually see) the sun was out and I was thinking about one of my favourite reptile sites and just thought.. na not for me.. walked out and have been working in ecology since.

Funny thing is the plane thing has now got its own back and I'm currently training for my PPL. (Small white high wing aircraft, if you see one over Essex take cover). The funny bit about this is that all the mathematical training I have in engineering is finally of some use to me!

So there you go that's my two interests, been with me for as long as I can remember and being split between them causes me no end of trouble (though I'm slowly finding the balance) what are yours and how do you find time for all your interests?

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 9:13pm

Gemma,

Being as it's quite late and I'm tired I'm sure you'll forgive me for reading your interests included 'Witchcraft'. A double take reassured me that it was infact flying aircraft and not flying broomsticks that take your fancy!. 

My main interest other than herpetology is mainly music, I play drums in a Dorset band called The Dead Plants (am only covering for the 'real' drummer Tom whilst he's away in India teaching for 6 months). They had a fantastic reputation throughout the world till I joined...

Interesting thread :) 

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 9:46pm

Well I wasn't going to mention my interest in the 'old ways' but as you come to mention it, my broomstick doesn't have the performance of a Cessna 172 and is far more drafty  

But to tie in with your music interest, I'll own up to being into 'Goth' and punk. 

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2007 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

Well I wasn't going to mention my interest in the 'old ways' but as you come to mention it, my broomstick doesn't have the performance of a Cessna 172 and is far more drafty  

But to tie in with your music interest, I'll own up to being into 'Goth' and punk. 

Apparently alot of witchcraft goes on in the Purbecks, so when you do a Dorset herp visit you can perhaps slaughter a lamb at Winspit ledge ;)

Goth...Hmm...Was taught by the drummer from 'The Cure' Jason Cooper. But don't tell them they're goth, Robert hates it.

lalchitri View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalchitri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 4:01am
check my siggy for one 
add cricket (drinking+cricket=.....NO, i'am not andrew flintoff!), IT, films and gaming.

Edited by lalchitri
Reformed Teetotaller
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 5:27am

I play guitar and I am looking for other musicians to form a band for the entertainment at the HWM 2008 or maybe 2009....anyone interested please pm me

I have dabbled in diving, sailing, caving and Aikido - which I would love to get back into but I moved away from my local dojo and I am looking for another - hopefully a dojo in Andover so should be joining that soon.

I also like music and espcially the 90's bands such as smashing pumpkins (hopefully going to see them at Reading festie this year), Pearl Jam (saw them last year at Reading they were f***ing great!), Blur, Oasis (their first album only), supergrass, Pulp, Longpigs, Ash, and many others. Just been listerning to Biffy Clyro (cant spell) sounds really good

The main holiday this year will be a sailing hols with my wife on her uncle's boat - sailing around the Turkish Coast for 8 days - should be good (we are his crew)

My degree is in Marine Biology - so I have been stuck on the terrestrial side of things - hoping to get back into the marine environment

My latest thing is reef keeping - I have a small reef aquarium which I have had for just over 2 months

Here is one my clown fish - I only have two fish in the aquarium and they are both captive bred - my corals are from captive stock aswell

JC

Edited by herpetologic2
Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 5:32am
Gemma, I knew you were learning to fly , but didn't know you had an interest in aircraft, I luuuurves Jets!

Alex, What kind of music do you play? I play acoustic and sing, my main influences are ,Bowie, P.Floyd, Radiohead, Antony and the Johnsons, Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave....

Aside from Music my other interests are...Morris Dancing, Train sets and stamp collecting
But seriously, all my life I was seriously into bodybuilding but over the last five years have gradually lost interest completely.
I love the human mind , spirituality (not religion) , Mystical stuff and psychic phenonema.
Also love gardening, having my mind opened to new experiences and art forms, making my kids laugh andwriting poems or songs.

I absolutely loathe Football with a vengence , can't even stand the sound of it on TV and it is banned from our house.
Al
O-> O+>
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 5:36am

and for the last two years we have rescued a lurcher with tourettes!

18 months of training has also taken a reasonable amount of our time - he is getting there but still has that swearing syndrome

JC

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 7:48am

Well here's a jet just for Al, I blame these beasts for my interest in aircraft, I grew up 16 miles away from Wattisham during the 70's when Lightnings operated there - noisy, environmentally unfriendly - prone to catching fire, but totally awesome! If the CAA would allow a restored one to fly in the UK (which they won't) I would sell my soul to fly one! (There are a pair operating in SA - which for a small fortune you can fly - so might drop in one day Tony!)

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2007 at 8:45am
As music seems to be a trend, I'll add that my tastes are eclectic...I like anything from 70s hard rock to NWoBHM .

Other lifelong passion has been motorsport, I rallied for 15+ years, and then traded in four wheel for four legs and competed at low level in three-day events.

I still do the annual pilgrimage to Le Mans, and still have to have a fast car in the driveway.

I also have a life-long interest in martial arts, and used to teach women's self defence. Native art form was/is Silat (I know you've never heard of it !).

Military technology is more of a work thing, but it used to be a hobby, so I do at least share an interest in fast jets ! here's on of ours at work which would feel comfortable in the Lightning's presence :P

too many interests...only one lifetime !

[Edit] - I should have added: smoking, drinking and womanising....but the good days seem a bit behind me now. I'm really quite boring these days.

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
  Share Topic