the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder 2007!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 11:30am

Found this very docile female adder at Bramshill on Friday.

Edited by clare
tim hamlett View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tim hamlett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 11:55am

wow clare...you sure now how to make an entrance! another beautiful pic. something tells me that you're not new to this herp-spotting business.

tim

clare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote clare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 2:33pm

Hi All, thanks for the warm welcome.  Have been watching reptiles whilst out watching birds and dragonflies for a few years but have only been making a real effort in the last couple of years and trying to build up a collection of reptile piccies.  Reading the posts on this forum is very informative and makes me realise how little I know about our native reptiles. I didn't even know that you could tell individual adders apart by their markings!

Clare

Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2007 at 2:47pm
Found a very docile male today (5:45pm) while with Arvensis, we observed this male from a distance for about 5mins and he didn't know he was being watched even when we left.

James
Im Craving Adder's(www.jimpklop.moonfruit.com)
Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2007 at 9:40am
Here is the the docile male mentioned above.

Thanks

James

Edited by Jimpklop
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2007 at 1:26pm
Most of my pics came out not that good and did not really show the olive hint to the skin, anyway here's the best effort:

Now I've discovered that the camera needs a sensor clean and I can't find the flipping sensor cleaning swabs -oh well.
Mark

Edited by arvensis
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2007 at 7:40am

So I would have that lovely adder down as being a female......

Dark brown markings = Female

Jet black markings = Male

Though have we any shots of the rostral scales?

or the tail?

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2007 at 7:42am

Ah we have a rostral scale shot - cant make out the dark markings - though I am sure Bret would be able to tell us whether that was a male.....

Any tail shots?

Jon

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2007 at 3:08pm
No tail shots Jon unfortunately,, it was coiled up like that for the 5 or 10 minutes James and myself were taking piccies of it.  I'm sure that its noticed the the 'V' is black compared to the dark brown zig-zag.

5 adders at a local site today, 2 Melanistic which 1 was def a female, 1 female with normal patterning, 1 adult male which i unsuccessfully tried to get a head shot of and a sub-adult male.

Mark
Jimpklop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimpklop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2007 at 3:08pm
    yea the markings were very pale it was the white/olive sides that made me think it must be a male, no tail shots because he/she wouldn't move unless we touched it, was quite scary i thought it was dead after about 3 minutes but then it twitched, and after a second look over all my pictures from that day the blotches on its flanks are very faint (more so than an average male) so after all that it may be a female, i feel like a bit of a fool.

Thanks

James

Edited by Jimpklop
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 10>
  Share Topic