the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass Snake Identification & Sightings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asterix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 10:37am

Hi

I have used the information on your web page and particularly Ruth's pictures to help me identify a grass snake in our garden pond in Rutland.  It is about 1 inch across and I guess 18 to 24 inches long.  The pond contains newts and frogs.  Although we did have some frogspawn this this year there was less than usual and there seem to be fewer frogs as well.  Can I expect to see more than one snake?  Is there anything I should do about it?

David

Asterix, Rutland
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2005 at 12:49pm

David,

I think most of the members would agree with me when I say, there seems to be a reduction in frog spawn everywhere this year, not only your pond......Come to that there seems to be a reduction in Grass snake numbers as well, so i think you're very lucky to have one visiting on a regular basis. like I said to ruth, you could get some small carp to stock the pond if you want to keep the grassie interested. If i were you, I'd invest in one of those small hides/tents, set it up one night so that you can see the pond clearly and wait for a sunny morning. You have the ideal opprotunity to grab a photo of a grass snake swallowing a small fish.....It would be great if you could log it on here afterwards so that we can all see!

Cheers Robert

RobV
cressy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cressy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2005 at 2:57pm
hi, I'm totally new to this forum, but hope you dont mind me adding in a grass snake sighting!  it was in our kitchen garden, 'sunbathing' on a vertical old stone wall, and I've identified it from the pictures on your site.  I went in to get the children to come and see it, but unfortunately they were a bit loud as we went back out, and it had disappeared...
we are in Kent, very close to the sea, and this is the first grass snake I have seen here in about 5 years, although I have seen several slow worms too.  do we not see them because they are rare, or because they hide themselves away?  I was thrilled to see it.
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2005 at 4:21pm
Hi Cressy
Welcome to the forums .

I'm glad you managed to see a grassy in your garden, that's excellent news

I've been into reptiles since I was very young , and now at age 41 I can honestly say I still get very excited when I see a snake.

To answer your question, Our reptiles are becoming rarer and they're definitely not as easy to see as when I was young .
Also, you may not often see snakes because you're not that familiar with them . Once you start looking in the right places you'll find that your eye becomes trained to spotting them .

Thanks for telling us about your grass snake , hope to speak to you again here
Alan
cressy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cressy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2005 at 6:04pm
thanks for the reply  and the welcome - can you recommend a quick and easy way to find out more about  reptiles in the UK?  we also get lizards (unfortunately brought in by the cats, but very often still alive) and also lots of  frogs here.  trouble is, if you google reptiles you get so much info that its hard to sift through - I'd like to be able to identify things and know about their habitat, lifestyle, how we can encourage more, etc etc. - a good book recommendation would be great!
Peter Vaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Vaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2005 at 8:00pm

Great to see the Forum back .

It seemed easier to observe the Grass Snakes at my local reserve during September and October - perhaps because the vegetation had thinned out a bit and temperatures were that bit cooler.  My last sighting was on 16 October, but here is a photograph of one on a log pile taken on 10 September.

thinned

Peter Vaughan
Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2005 at 10:16am
Peter. That's a lovely photo' of a Grass snake in the some Bramble.
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2006 at 5:44pm
Here's a Juvenile from yesterday.

Mark
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2006 at 8:37am
Nice one Mark. Did you get 'slimed' ? :P, although it looks settled(ish).
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
arvensis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arvensis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2006 at 1:51pm
Steve,
          I didn't get skunked because I wasn't the one holding it!   There was another one underneath a tin which would've made a nice piccy if someone else lifted the tin.   I was on my own at the time and its a bit tricky with a DSLR. 

I should be out next week if the weather isn't too hot and hopefully will find more.

Did you get my reply to your PM regarding CA?  Should be out looking for those too.

Cheers, Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic