the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Grass Snake Identification & Sightings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2004 at 11:35pm

Hi Mark,

I wouldn't have thought it had anything to do with hibernation this late into the season, maybe they just took longer to use the refugia.

Strange though, as most of my records show juveniles and sub-adults using refugia first, they are usually far more abundant at a given site than adults.

sian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2005 at 7:46pm
 Was walking this mild evening at the edge of a small undisturbed wood near Stansted. Wonderful grass snake about 18 inches - 2 feet long, very green with a surprisingly bright acid-yellow collar, sitting exposed in the middle of this wide dirt track. Quite relaxed about moving into the wood. Have no experience or particular interest in snakes, but thought you'd like a report of a very pleasant sighting. Would love to know its likely age and/or likely sex.
Sian
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2005 at 7:42am

Sian,

thanks for letting us know. Very difficult to tell the sex without close inspection, but, at that length (depending on if it were a male or female haha) it would probably be about three to four years old. They can grow over six feet in length but they are not quite so relaxed about getting seen when they get to that age.

If you have a water body close by, its probably worth another look as you may see more of them. Yesterday morning I saw three, all in the water, which I felt and it was freezing cold to the touch. Happy hunting.

Robert V

RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2005 at 11:06pm

Ok all, get this. Last saturday morning at 9.45am, sun up but still only about 11 degrees cent and water so cold i could hardly hold my hand in it, who should be in for a swim?........ You'll note that it was 2nd April, not the 1st!!

RobV

Edited by administrator
RobV
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2005 at 11:16pm

Ps,

i've thought for a while now that many male Grass snakes migrate to the water instead of mating while others stay behind on the plains with the females until much later, say end of april. If, like adders, Grassies only mated every other year, it might explain things?  

RobV
Ruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2005 at 5:29pm

Spotted this one in our pond on 03 April 05, it's much bigger than the one we found in our garden in August 04

Ruth

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2005 at 11:01am
Excellent Stuff Ruth ! Thank you for sharing the pictures .
Wish I had Grass Snakes visiting my pond .

All the best,
Al
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2005 at 5:20pm

Good one Ruth!

Have you got frogs/toads in your pond? If NOT, how about buying a few small common carp to keep the snake ineterested! (lol, I know I'll get shouted at for that one)

RobV
Ruth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ruth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2005 at 9:17pm

Originally posted by Robert V Robert V wrote:

Have you got frogs/toads in your pond?

Yep, we have frogs (not many though), this one was resting very near to the grass snake, not sure if it would have been too large for the snake or not.  In fact it was only due to the fact that the snake had a frog by its leg that drew my husbands attention to the pond, BTW, that particular frog got away

We very much hope to have see more sightings of it and perhaps see a few youngsters later in the year.

LOL, as for the carp comment, let's just say, there's plenty of choice in the pond!!!

Ruth

Edited to post photo

Edited by Ruth
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2005 at 11:06pm
Ruth, glad the frog got away. Much rather a few carp became lunch....especially because of the amount of carp ponds around now and the fact that they devour all the frog and toad spawn!
RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic