the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Alien & Naturalised species of the UK > Naturalised
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wall Lizard distribution in the UK

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wall Lizard distribution in the UK
    Posted: 04 Feb 2007 at 1:29pm
Folks, I promised that over Xmas I'd pull together all of the Pm information and we'd try to start to formalise the process of monitoring the Wall lizard population in the UK.

Well, I'm about a month late, but have just put together the first web page. Its early days, so all feedback & correction is welcome.

Page is at: http://www.surrey-arg.org.uk/ then click the 'Wall lizard' button on the right-hand pane.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2007 at 5:56pm
Does anybody have a copy of:

The Wall Lizard in England, Quayle, A. Noble, M.  BRITISH WILDLIFE 2000, VOL 12; PART 2, pages 99-106, BRITISH WILDLIFE PUBLISHING 0958-0956

If so I'd be very grateful for a copy, as BW appears to have sold out. Email link below should work.

Also, does anybody have any details regarding the unconfirmed Ludlow colony ?

Cheers.

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2007 at 4:40am

Hi Steve

Yes I have a copy I will forward it to you -

Also the wall lizard project is ace well done! I am looking for possible speakers for the HWM in 2008 - would you like to present the project's findings in Jan 2008? I would also like to suggest a 10 min slot for the RAUK forum - as this year we had a 10 min slot for the BHS and I think that this is an excellent way of introducing different groups/organisations which are working together.

I would like to encourage ARG UK to promote the new project from RAUK

Regards

JC

Report your sightings to the Record Pool http://arguk.org/recording
Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 9:30am

Hi,

Very interesting but could you clarify something for me. If Wall Lizard colonies are found to be spreading and if they are found to have a negative impact what exactly is meant by "assist with their management"

Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 10:29am

I would imagine the most sensible management would be to create habitat which favours our native species over the Wall Lizard - but I would say that would only be neccessary if it was proven that Wall Lizards were actually causing a decline in our native species

So far there is no evidence to suggest such an impact occurs - even the Bournemouth Population where it widely known that people believe that wall lizards are out competing sand & viviparous lizards - it would easy to blame the Wall Lizard for the sand lizard decline as happens with other scapegoats for wildlife decline

You could try and eradicate the wall lizards - but I would imagine that the sand lizards would continue to decline - as it has been reported that the sand lizards were declining before the wall lizards were introduced

But this is why I think the wall lizard survey is important to gather some evidence to back up the anecdotal observations

Jon

Davew View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 11:43am
Thanks for the info, I'm always a little wary of these type of schemes after the sickening Ruddy Duck cull. I was concerned about the legalities of translocation of this species, ie can you release them elsewhere after capture? I am very interested in Wall Lizard and am very familiar with a Portland colony and the Boscombe one therefore I am concerned that "assist with their management" may have meant kill. Can anyone confirm that this will not be the case? Thanks in advance.
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 12:19pm

Hi David

I know this has been mentioned previously - I will have to find out who exactly - the habitat management may have briefly enabled breeding - and of course any reduction of habitat would increase numbers seen wouldn't it - detectability increased may not reflect the situation on the ground

I would hope that killing walls would not be an option though I suspect some people may want this to happen

Regards

Jon

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 1:10pm

Right...The words 'assist with their management' were my words and are NOT a euphemism for a cull.

They are however words used when a month late writing up a web page and you want to get something up ASAP so we can start the discussion . I admit they are poorly chosen words, and I'll come up with something better over the weekend.

I think there are a few steps here, and the first is clearly to determine where the colonies are, and to track them. IF it is proved that their presence adversely affects native species, then there are a plethora of options to mitigate this which do not involve harming the animals.

I personally believe there may be many sites where these beautiful lizards could occupy an ecological niche. For instance...they seem far more adapt at using the third dimension than our present species.

Again, speaking personally, I would not want to lose indigenous Sand lizard colonies to an introduced species IF it is proven that they cannot occupy the same locations. This does not mean that the answer is to harm the Wall lizards in any way.

P.S. Paper received...many thanks David!

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 1:14pm

The only area where this may occur would be the Bournemouth Cliffs - I would like to go there this year (possibly a second field trip?)

though i am not convinced that they are actually the main cause of decline in the sand lizards - they may just be occupying an empty niche which the the sand lizard finds less optimal

Dave it would be good to see your data on sightings etc perhaps with details on habitat structure/availability etc

Regards

Jon

Alex2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2007 at 7:34pm

Interesting debate, and will say that a couple of years ago in Boscombe I did witness a PM snatch an insect from right under the nose of a LA. It made me think there and then that perhaps LA were not agile enough to compete with the faster PM's when it came to catching food. From my observations of the Worth colony, the PM seem to occupy an area right next to LV but only overlap in territory over a small patch of ground (or at least it appears that way currently).

Cheers, Alex.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic