the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Societies, Groups and Clubs > Meetings and Events
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ecology and Conservation - British Snakes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ecology and Conservation - British Snakes
    Posted: 26 Aug 2006 at 1:41pm

Hi all,

did anyone take the minutes of this meeting?

What was the content of Pat Gregories speech? Why was the answer more intruiging than the question etc etc.

Cheers

Robert

RobV
j gaughan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote j gaughan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2003 at 9:30pm
My 'Boss' digital delay kicks in re-echoing the same as above.
I was particularly hooked on Pat Gregory's material and was glad to finally link up with Tony after 15-odd years of near-misses in the field and indoor meettings.
Again, well done Richard, and Chris _ you have your work cut out.

These BHS 'C & E meetings' would be great annually, if at all managable, and if so i would suggest an amphib theme next year, alternating the taxa fairly.

John

Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2003 at 3:08pm
Now that this meeting is over, I would just like to report to everyone here that this was a truly excelent meeting, with informative and stimulating presentations, and of course the opportunity to meet many colleagues as well as RAUK members, some of whom I previously only knew by email.

I, for one, learned a lot even on things I thought I already knew a bit about - Tony Phelps's excellent talk on reprodutive strategies in adders brought home the incredible quantity and quality of information that can be gathered through very long-term surveys, as well as aspects of the reproductive biology of the adder that were certainly new to me. Similarly, Chris Reading's presentation on growth and reproduction in smooth snakes also emphasised the importance of a long life and long gaps between breeding events in smooth snakes, and Pat Gregory's talk on death-feigning in grass snakes was intriguing in asking a simple question that nobody had asked before, and showing that the answer is a lot less simple than the question, and Rhys Jones taught me a thing or two about the use of shed skins. All speakers showed just how much more there is to do, and how everyone can do their bit.

Richard Griffiths and all the speakers deserve our thanks for an excellent meeting, and I also hope that its success will stimulate more of the same.

Best regards,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
Wolfgang Wuster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wolfgang Wuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2003 at 10:49am
The full programme for this meeting is now available:

http://biology.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/HJ/snakesflyer.pdf

This should be an excellent and highly interesting meeting for anyone interested in European snakes. Please publicise as widely as possible.

Cheers,

Wolfgang
Wolfgang Wüster

School of Biological Sciences, University of Wales, Bangor

http://pages.bangor.ac.uk/~bss166/
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2003 at 12:57pm

British Herpetological Society Scientific Symposium

ECOLOGY AND CONSERVATION OF BRITISH SNAKES

29th November 2003

Poorly understood and often persecuted, snakes in Britain are also increasingly caught in the crossfire between conservation and development of their habitats.

In recent  years, new technologies and field techniques have enabled new insights to be gained into their cryptic life styles.

This symposium will review how far we have come in this direction and show how research can be used to address fundamental conservation issues.

The programme will include contributions from snake experts from Britain and Europe, including Chris Reading, Tony Phelps, Chris Gleed-Owen and Luca Luiselli.

Further information will be available from:

Dr Richard Griffiths, DICE, University of Kent, Caterbury, Kent, CT2 7NS, UK.

Email: mailto:R.A.Griffiths@ukc.ac.uk

Source - the NatterJack, Newsletter of the British Herpetological Society.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic