the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Smooth Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Young newts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Young newts
    Posted: 24 Sep 2006 at 9:28am

Do growing newts shed thier skin ? In my other posting 'new pond' I mentioned that I have taken about 50 newts in various stages of their development from a pond which is to be relocated. I have kept most of them in a fish tank complete with rocks and moss etc etc and most seem to be doing well. Today I transferred them to another tank and took the opportunity of counting them again, there seems to be about ten missing from my original count which prompts a previously asked question - do the larger ones prey on the smaller, I also found what appears to be a complete newt skin floating in the water, it's completely transparent and looks just like a 'see through' newt. If they don't shed their skin what could have caused this ? What preys on these young creatures. The only other things in the tank are water snails, something that looks like a small leech and various shrimp like creatures etc. By the way, I seem to have answered a previous question myself - young newts will eat freeze dried bloodworms and tubifex, it's quite amusing to watch them stalk it and then attack and shake it.

Thanks in advance for any answers ...

Kato  

Kato
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2006 at 10:59am
I guess you would have had trouble by now but beware if you've got a leech in with confined newts. I say this as when I was a youngster we used to store minnows that we used as live bait in large lidded tins on the lake (Windermere) bed weighted down with stones. The tins had perforations to enable flow of water yet these also allowed in leeches. A very grisly sight to open the tin and find all the minnows sucked hollow by leeches.
Suz
Kato View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2006 at 4:31pm

Thanks for your replies ............... those leeches sound pretty horrific though !!

Kato

Kato
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic