the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This is the place for this one

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2003 at 2:46pm

Alan, I'm not so sure that British adders are a mainstream pet trade animal? What gives you that idea?

Martin.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2003 at 3:02pm

Hi Martin ,

No they're not , I was mearly using Berus as an example , because we here in Britain know thier numbers are in Decline.

So what I was saying was, We know that berus is in decline without the added removal for the pet trade. So , if the same thing is happening to ,for instance Bitis Parviocula without numbers being removed for the pet trade , then think of the devastating effects if dealers start taking them from the wild aswell. Could be the final nail for a pretty unkown species.

Cheers Martin,

Alan

Martin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2003 at 5:14pm

Aha, I'm with you now. I would have thought that habitat destruction would have been a major decline factor. Lack of roaming ability therefore reducing the useage area, coupled with human activity and pet disturbances (cats and dogs) are factors I worry about! (But have no idea if any of that is relevant where you are talking about?)

Martin.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2003 at 5:41pm

Hi Martin,

Yup yup. I tend to think along different lines also, though not proven. For instance, general Environmental damage (as in the whole planet) . Chaotic weather patterns world wide (Those floods over two summers in the Uk, did they effect our herps?) , Changes in prey items , as in reduced numbers etc..

I think there could be factors behind vanishing herps that we are not aware of yet. Who knows?

Cheers Martin ,

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic