the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where now for the RAUK website?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 10:05am

I guess Steve we have the question 'is RAUK heading towards becoming an organisation in its own right'... now there is an interesting thought. Certainly beyond the original concept I had for the website.

The least it should be though is a one stop shop for news within the UK herp world and information in my view. Not sure it has achieved that for a number of possible reasons.

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 10:19am

Rofl, don't get me started on semantics !

Cambridge: organisation, noun [C] : "a group of people who work together in a structured way for a shared purpose:"

We possibly don't clear the 'structured' hurdle :P

But....great point: Any offers for a one-liner purpose statement for the UK herpetological community ? (possibly excluding exotic pet trade).

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
herpetologic2 View Drop Down
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 1:06pm

Yeah I fully understand that RAUK did come first - but the new name was needed I feel due to the lack of direction from what was the HGBI and its Secretariat - it was great when Jim Fosters was in his Common Species project post but after that it was lost - so now we have the new name and we have ditched the secretariat - welll they also agreed that they were not interested in ARG's - so we felt we needed a new name - and so the ARG UK was born last year

I feel that the RAUK has a lot to offer the herp conservation world on so many levels - ready access to the experts, instant answers to various problems and I do feel that we need to increase the standards in consultancy work - one action is to get consultants to send in their records to local recorders - this will be part of my course this September for Reptile Mitigation (IEEM course) where I will be publicsing the RAUK, ARG's NARRS etc - you have to face facts and it is the consultants that are collecting the most records generally - they are paid to do this so we need to tap into this source of records

Jon

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 1:49pm

Hi Jon,

Actually the similarity in the names isn't really a problem, in some ways it almost seems to pave a way for future co-operation. ARG-UK seems good to me and better than the HGBI which didn't really say what it was.

I totally agree that consultants should be passing records to local recorders though this is a whole can of worms in itself. (I can think of a myriad of reasons why I don't always do this other than laziness which is one factor ).

Hopefully this can be addressed by yourself in your course. Do you need to be a member of IEEM to attend by the way? I could quite fancy being a fly on the wall at that one

Chris Monk View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Monk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 6:42pm

Gemma

I too think that the forum does fullfil a useful purpose not covered by the web sites of the other main herpetological organisations. I tend to visit the others for specific reasons ie ARG-UK for contact details of ARG Groups, notices of meetings & events. However RAUK complements the other web sites as they do not cater for discussion of topics, unusual or even ordinary sightings etc. It also reaches many people who are not members of groups but just have an interest in the natural world. Although some sort of linkage with other organisations would be an idea, it definitely needs to stay independant.

On the slightly separate topic introduced by Jon, surely English Nature/Natural England and HCT should be pushing consultancies to pass their herp records onto Record Centres. I know all the arguments why it doesn't happen to a greater extent. Still it is difficult when I get passed information by consultants who ask me not to report it but just want to let me know where they've turned up great crested newts but the client won't let them publicise it. I've got several locations that I just have to keep in my head in case there is a future proposal that will threaten the area.

Chris

Derbyshire Amphibian & Reptile Group

www.derbyshirearg.co.uk

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2006 at 7:01pm

I must be misunderstanding something here....

Don't consultants underake surveys on behalf of their clients to satisfy the PPS9 requirements of local councils? If so...aren't council conservation officers best placed to collate such information? and pass onto local records centres?...or are there IPR issues ?

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 2:10am

For gods sake

why are they twitchy about the biological records being used for information purposes especially when they have been forwarded to English Nature (license returns), DEFRA (survey information) and of course to local authorities (part of ecology reports for planning applications) all of which are government bodies so therefore all the information is available in the public domain.

What is the point of doing the survey in the first place if the records are not used for conservation purposes?

Gem, the course I think is more expensive for non members - double I think

I feel that my job is being a 'conservationist' through my consultancy work - I am planning to send all my records to the relevant people/groups or organisations in Dorset, Surrey, Hampshire, Kent, Essex and Hertfordshire - on one job in Hampshire my contract obligated me to send a summary of records to HBIC -

I do not buy into the confidentiality fo biological records - also I do not think the client buys the copyright to the records - the advice and reports etc produced from the surveys is what the client is paying for - so with the landowners permission all biological records should be fed into the local recording system or the BRC or RAUK!

A ha back onto the topic.....

Jon

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 3:13am

Hi,

One page on the RAUK website may have to dedicated to explaining the meanings of all the shortened orgs names, for a start!!!

Read through this thread: you have DEFRA, BRC, HBIC, ARG UK etc etc. What do we do about that one then?!

Also, Jon, clients may be twitchy about info reaching other sources, if for instance, they are awaiting a twelve year "squatters rights" ruling on land and have only commissioned an environmental survey in order to be ready for issues arising once the twelve year rule has been achieved. This is only one 'for instance' but, if it were the case, I could understand why they wouldn't want others knowing about the location etc.

I second the question; "why doesn't the Natterjack want to link RAUK?" The BRS are a constant puzzle to me.

Also, I agree with Gemma and co on the issue of other sites becoming more concerned with captive husbandry of exotics, rather than aiming at the promotion, conservation and genreal knowledge of wild and native species, thats why RAUK is as important if not more important (or will eventually become so) than some other sites on the web.

Whatever direction RAUK chooses to go in and whomsoever joins the committee, for me, it should remember that although Steves comment on "uncoordinated" has a lot of validity, it nonetheless is the amalgum of lots and lots of incidental reports on species habits, habitat destruction and changes and 'bits and pieces' of "trivia" that often add up to important research. If you take away the "amatuer inclusion" then you risk becoming like the other sites.

Cheers

Robert

RobV
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 10:41am

Hi David

I think that most people recognise the excellent work that is published within the BHS journals and long may it continue.

I also noticed that there are links to RAUK and others on the BHS website so I suppose that an article about RAUK for the natterjack may be a good way of getting the web address in this publication

Regards

Jon

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 1:12pm

IMO the BHS rocks! & David has personally helped me out many times in chasing down scientific papers.

Just thought I'd mention that the new Natterjack editor, is of course a member of this forum ! and also helped to put together the NARRS webpages. How's that for an integrated community?

Steve Langham - Chairman    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic