the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Where now for the RAUK website?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Deano View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where now for the RAUK website?
    Posted: 27 Mar 2007 at 7:54am

Sorry I'm a bit late catching up with this thread.

As I see it, we have a group of people who all want to help herps. So they join all these different organisations. Now unless you're a Time Lord and can bend space and time, you aren't gonna have enough hours in a day, to make a really good job of it. If you want to make a difference, concerntrate your efforts, don't spread yourselves out over various committees/groups. Commit to one group (preferebly RAUK) and do your damndest to get things done.

I'm already on the LVNP committee, producing the newsletter and this takes up my time 'cause I want to produce the best darn newsletter I can. When I took over the role, the quarterly newsletter was 2 sides of A4 black and white. Now it is 12 pages of colour. It is hard work keeping the standard up and so I can't help out on any more committees. 

But I do think RAUK is a worthy cause. And if any body is going to help Gemma out with this idea, please give it 110%.

Thanks Gemma for all your work. Don't you wish you could just kick some a**e, sometimes?

Maybe you could if everyone pulls together. There are a lot of intelligent people here (and I don't include myself) so one would hope something concrete could be achieved.

Here's hoping.

Deano
Better to be lucky than good looking.
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 3:50pm
So sorry to hear that Gemma.
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2006 at 3:15pm

I think David has raised a very good point here about our UK herp groups/societies and organisations. Many are voluntary and limited by human resources and funding.

The main 'problem', if it is a problem as such, I've come across is that of 'expectation' of members. Often it is different to what the group either strives to provide or is able to, which may lead to disappointment.

Today I saw bulldozers moving across a site I voluntarily surveyed for an ARG, reported to the county wildlife trust as a key reptile site (exceeding their criteria for county wildlife site (SNCI)) and spent a great deal of my personal time and money trying to protect.

Today there was NO reptile mitigation in sight.. what happened to the report and records I wonder? I guess I could feel bitter that nobody ensured that the adder on the site were protected, but really I just feel terribly sad about it all, clearly my expectation of these groups exceeded what they could deliver. No protection and the site not even reconised as a key reptile site.

Still, back to the point of this thread, an important issue has been raised by way of David's defence of the BHS.

What do those who use RAUK expect of it? Does it deliver the expectations and should RAUK strive to meet some of the expectations of the public, as an organisation, rather than just being a web forum, that are currently not covered by the existing UK herp organisations?

Be interested in any views.

Edited by GemmaJF
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 4:28pm
Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 4:22pm

LOL Rob,

RAUK = herpetofauna = herpetofauna.co.uk

I knew it would catch on one day! 

Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 1:06pm

Suz,

How about RAUK = Herptofauna?

R

RobV
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 10:28am

Yes Rob I actually contacted David from a link on here so nothing to do with BHS.

RSPB=Birds

?=Herpetofauna

Suz
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 10:07am

Hi,

above comments noted, but, as far as I can recall, I haven't seen David's name (in person) taken in vain on this site?

BHS is not only one man though is it?

I'm sure that some people's experiences of the BHS may not have been so satisfying as those that had the good fortune to contact the right person. From my personal point of view, my beef goes back to 1995/6, and I accept that things change, personnel changes also, and that experience may not have ANY relevance today. So i'm content to let sleeping dogs lie.    

I hope you lot won't mind too much though, if I don't renew my membership!

Cheers

Robert

RobV
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2006 at 4:25am
David has helped me too tracking down a paper on smooth snakes in Devon and also identifying a lizard for me from a photo. I am very grateful for his help and interest.
Suz
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2006 at 1:12pm

IMO the BHS rocks! & David has personally helped me out many times in chasing down scientific papers.

Just thought I'd mention that the new Natterjack editor, is of course a member of this forum ! and also helped to put together the NARRS webpages. How's that for an integrated community?

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic