the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Palmate Newt
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

August

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: August
    Posted: 11 Aug 2006 at 12:07pm
Small population in my parents garden pond in east central Scotland are still laying eggs as of this week.  Adults have been seen in the pond since february, although only females seem to be left now.
At the moment can find all stages from eggs and newly-hatched to new-morphs emerging around the edges of the pond. Efts could be seen in the pond all through last winter.
I wonder if this is something to do with being further north?  Maybe insurance against a poor summer or particularly harsh winter? Anyone else observed such a protracted breeding season?

Edited by Donny
mynewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mynewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2006 at 6:19am
Hi there

I've just seen something similar in Pembrokeshire, namely and courtship in palmate newts - a small pond in the gounds of a stately home had at least a dozen individuals, with males in full breeding condition, displaying to females who seemed willing to follow the males in turn.

has anyone seen active courtship / displaying in newts of any species this late in the season ?  Can anyone suggest why it's happening at this time ? - especially in mild south-west Wales ?

Cheers

Mynewt

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic