the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Caterpillar ID

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 12:47pm

Hi Mike, certainly is Epilobium angustifolium, I can say this now with great confidence having checked the link to Brickfields and compared to the piccy of the flower to the ones in the garden. Should be easy to nurture for the future. 

Danial, I'll have to sort out some piccies of our garden, though it is not now at its best as most of the poppies and corn flowers are finished. They were self set from last year so though we had early flowering the garden now looks rather bare. Have to work on this for next year.

Edited by GemmaJF
Suzi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 3:44pm
 I had presumed it was the willow herb that I have that you were all talking about but now realise it wasn't. Here I have the Broad-leaved Willow Herb - Epilobium Montanum as a weed and it is that which these caterpillars always feed on.
Suz
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2005 at 4:09pm
Hi Suzi, I wouldn't rely on my identification of a plant, I'm terrible, though it did look like E.angustifolium from the piccies on Brickfields it could well be Epilobium Montanum, if I post up a piccy would anyone be able to confirm the ID?
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 9:58am

We found 3 more today,

They were feeding on a yellow flower next to the Willow Herb (yellow flowers without the red centres in piccy below)

Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 12:55pm

I would agree with that, David - which just led to a fruitless search of my Evening Primrose! Mind you, this grows only in my reptiliaries so the caterpillars may well get eaten when young.

I note Collins Field Guide to caterpillars lists both Willowherbs and Evening Primrose as foodplants together with Bedstraw, Bogbean and Fuschia in gardens (can't find any on that either!)

Haven't found any this year but I do think the green caterpillars of this sepcies are exceptionally gorgeous.

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 2:50pm

Well I'll make sure we have both Evening Primrose and Willowherb growing together again for next year, a fortunate if accidental combination. They can keep off me Fushias though  (only kidding )

I was amazed at the rate the one pictured above was grazing, the leaf he was pictured on is no more, and he is now half way through another.

Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2005 at 2:59pm

Quick piccy for Danial, you can see my idea of a flower border above, now our wildlife pond, 

Hobbesgang View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hobbesgang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2019 at 3:27pm
Are the elephant hawk moth poision’s to cats please ?
Both my cats have brought two in thanks
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 7:32pm
No, despite their fearsome appearance, neither the moths or caterpillars are poisonous to people or pets.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic