the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adder Photography

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adder Photography
    Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 1:25pm

This one's really for Al.

Nice choice on buying the Canon mate :P As for macro, I took this using 135mm lens with a +2 close up lens bolted on the front. This means of course, I was close to strike-range taking this pic, but she was pretty laid back and not at all aggressive. Took this at Ash, your neck of the woods really .

Interestingly, and I'm not sure why yet...The canon has trouble auto-focusing on adders. MF works a beaut, but must be something to do with adder contrast which foxes the AF, all other reptiles it seems fine.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
Surrey Amphibian & Reptile Group
Jeroen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeroen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 4:06pm

Autofocus trouble? Weird, don't have that with my 300D... - hope it's OK that I am adding some recent adder pictures of mine (from Belgium) ...

and this is a Vipera seoanei (same Canon EOS 300D still) from SW-France ...

*SNAKE* View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *SNAKE* Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 4:18pm

guess what im getting for chistmas ?

paul

Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 4:24pm
That second pic is a cracker !  I don't know the species (seoanei), are they similar size to berus ? They seem a more robust build ?

Edited by Vicar
Steve Langham - Chairman    
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 5:23pm
Luuuurverly pics Steve ,Jeroen.

Here's a couple of macro pics from my E20

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 5:35pm

Thanks guys for cheering me up on a particularly crap day, I could sit and look at these pics all night

Now the big question, do I buy a Cannon EOS 350D or a 8700 Coolpix?

Edited by GemmaJF
Vicar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 6:01pm

I really like the top one Al !

Gemma,

I'd say whatever you buy in that price range will deliver the results. What made my mind up was walking into a shop and trying them, actually holding them and seeing how they 'felt'.

Personally I found the Nikon autofocus quite clunky, (Canon USM is lubberly!) and the viewfinder not as clear as the Canon. I think the 350 is a bit lighter than my EOS 20D. The only fault I have with the 20D is it is a little on the heavy side. After a day's tramping about with it round my neck, I feel it. And for some of those 'yoga-position' shots using one hand, you feel the weight too.

I think the coolpix is also an 8Mp camera ?, so no difference there. I do hear the D70 is a bargin at the moment, since they brought out the D70S too.

Steve Langham - Chairman    
administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2005 at 6:17pm
Thanks for that Steve, sounds like a good idea to go try them out. IÆve been comparing specs but field friendliness will be the most important consideration at the end of the day for me.
Jeroen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeroen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2005 at 3:26am

Originally posted by Vicar Vicar wrote:

I don't know the species (seoanei), are they similar size to berus ? They seem a more robust build ?

Yes, they are similar. Up until somewhere in the 80's (I think) they used to be treated as a subspecies (Vipera berus seoanei). They live in the north of Spain and both the extreme north of Portugal as well as the extreme southwest of France, thus their range is completely separated from the range of the Adder (see SEH atlas map). The scales on top of the head are often more fragmented and they exhibit a seemingly larger(?) morphological variability, including quite a high number of black individuals. If you'd like to see where my observation came from, you may want to check my Pyrenees 2004 trip report. There are some more pictures of (partly the same animals) here.

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2005 at 5:16am
Thanks Brett, Steve , Gemma!

Gemma , I agree with most of what Steve said , But please do try out the Olympus E1 or E300 too, superb cameras.
Steve, The Olympus cameras make the 20D feel really light . The first thing i thought when picking up the 20d was , "wooah , light as a feather" LOL!

I personally prefer a heavy camera, dunno why.

Anyway , like Steve said ..most in that price range will deliver . Let us know what you choose
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic