the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > Off-Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

forthcoming travels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Davidson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: forthcoming travels
    Posted: 28 Oct 2003 at 10:39pm

Hmm, my first post to this forum doesn't really have much to do with native herps. Hi-ho though.

I'm off travelling this winter, to New Zealand and Australia, and am keen to see as much of the oz herpetofauna as possible, and ideally get involved in some voluntary herp conservation project/s too. Obviously, one does not just get up in the morning and think "I know, I'll lift up some corrugated iron today, and see what I can find" - this is the path to A&E, and is not covered by my travel insurance.

I have made one or two contacts with Australian herp groups, and with the Darwin Wildlife Management Institute, but nothing on the east coast (from Melbourne up to northern Queensland). Having watched Steve Irwin in action (and whilst I respect his ability to not be dead) I'm wondering if anyone could suggest some slightly more down-to-earth herp contacts in that area?

I have a BSc in ecology from Bangor University (hi Dr Wuster), and have been working in environmental education/ecological consultancy for the last two and a half years, so could bring that experience to bear on a project.

If anyone has any contacts, or suggestions for other groups/people to try, please get in touch.

Phil Davidson

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic