the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Floods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longcrippler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2012 at 9:10pm
I certainly seemed to have sparked off an interesting and knowledgeable discussion. Thanks for all your thoughts. I asked because one of the areas I regularly see grass snakes is along the ditches of an artificial flood relief channel. Most winters, and recently a couple of times in the summer too, the whole area is submerged with excess water from the river for days at a time. The snakes always reappear, though. I was wondering if they recolonised every time.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2012 at 9:58am
Last night, 19 December, after a whole day of heavy rain, a Common Frog hopped across the road in my headlights. Do they wake up when it floods?

Merry Christmas, everybody.
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2012 at 12:08am
I think you'll find that frogs are about most of the winter when it's not actually freezing or snowy. I see them in my pond when it's mild in winter. The thing is how much energy do they waste being active when there's unlikely to be much food about?
Suz
calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 8:26am
Newts too Suzy, even when it's not so mild. I regularly see newts active beneath icy ponds.
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 3:45pm
After hours of heavy rain in East Devon with our road on the point of flooding it has now started to snow!
Well Lee I don't seem to see much of my newts, although I know there are plenty of them. I've been out with a torch but I never see them. Most of my finds are underneath things that I move or from watching the pond in warmer weather.
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:20pm
hey Suzi, venturing a bit off-topic here as herps werent mentioned (livestock was), but did you see the BBC's recent "Winterwatch" special on "worst winter of the 20th century" 1963?

how marvellous to see motorists on the Thames!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01q9d86/Winterwatch_1963_The_Big_Freeze/
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 8:22pm
Yes Ben I did watch the BBC Winterwatch, only because my brother had tiped me off about the 62/63 special. Yes they had a hard time in Devon then with the cold and sheer depth of snow.
We lived in the Lake District then. I would say we didn't suffer with huge depth of snow so much as its lengthy stay plus the bitter cold.  I was 11 years old. My mother was overdue with her third child and went into labour in the early hours of Xmas Day. It was bitterly cold with lying snow and ice. There was no ambulance service and we were 13 miles from the hospital! It was touch and go whether Dad would get our old car started (Riley Pathfinder). He did and they had a white knuckle ride to the hospital where my sister was born as soon as they arrived. Once home my sister never went outdoors until March as it was so cold. There were bits of ice on Lake Windermere until May! We were skating on the lake and sledging but it was so cold. Yes vehicles did go onto the lake. The ice was over 12" thick but I can't remember the exact depth. It was a bit scary being on it as it cracked and groaned.
I often wonder how we managed with no central heating, good weatherproof clothes etc.!
My husband is from Surrey and the snow started there on Boxing Day I believe. We already had ours up north.
Sorry completely off herp topics here!
Suz
Liz Heard View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liz Heard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2013 at 8:37pm
wow! thats quite a story Suzi! i had to google the Riley Pathfinder. never heard of those!
im in Cumbria at the moment funnily enough. snow everywhere altho rain is coming in now. saw a Red Squirrel a few days ago! of course i scrabbled frantically in my pocket for the camera but of course it departed before i was ready - dammit!
Suzy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 10:15pm
Ben where I lived 1961-1970 on west side of Lake Windermere we ONLY had red squirrels at that time. Now they have both, so not sure how that is working out. I had never seen a grey one till I moved to Dorset and was amazed how fearless they were compared to reds, which were much more elusive.
We also had pine martins. Again very elusive and seen by very few of the locals in their lifetimes. A couple used to put food out for the red squirrels and got pine martins coming to take the food as well. We saw just one in our stay there.

Suz
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic