the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > General > UK Reptiles and Amphibians
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

fish vs newts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njbonsall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fish vs newts
    Posted: 04 May 2004 at 3:13pm

On a recent newt survey I recorded 25 GCN's by torchlight in a medium sized garden pond in Northamptonshire.  The homeowners are not my clients, and the garden is immediately outside of my area of study, but is close enougth to form part of a metapopulation.

After surveying the pond, which the homeowners came out to see the newts both in the evening and morning after bottle trapping, we were asked by the homeowners what would be the best species of fish to control the pondweed which can become dominant in the pond.  Obviously I recommended not introducing fish, as this would propbaly be the end of the newts, but short of rengineering the pond to include shallow scrapes as a refuge for the newts, is there any way of introducing a biological control to contain the pond weed.

calumma View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calumma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2004 at 5:19pm
Technically, introducing predatory fish into a pond that supports breeding gcn could be considered an offence.

The best biological control for pond weed is a pair of strong arms (with or without rake) carefully applied at an appropriate time of year ;-p
Lee Brady

Kent Herpetofauna Recorder | Independent Ecological Consultant

Email
njbonsall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote njbonsall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2004 at 9:42am

I know it's an offence, but beyond persusion what else can be done.  Is EN likely to prosecute an old couple for introducing fish to their garden pond ?   

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic