the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Grass Snake
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

first Grassie of 2012

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2012 at 2:08pm
I checked a grass snake site yesterday about midday. Clear sky and 12 degrees and unfortunately found nothing.
I did see my first female adder yesterday though at a different site along with 3 males.

Jason
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 10:57am
Hi all,

found this little sub adult beauty today and most welcome it was, first all green poly morph in almost three years - emerging from the favourite haunt I posted the other day - better late eh!

RobV
JaySteel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaySteel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 1:56pm
Lovely little snake. Is it likely to develop markings as it ages?

Jason
kevinb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevinb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 11:49am
I saw 3 mating balls of Grass snakes on friday, about 30 individuals in total.Pics on reporting thread.
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 9:47pm
Hi Jay,

I don't think it will, it's a bit late for that. If it had been a neo I would have said maybe, but by the end of this year I reckon it will be going into hibernation ready to mate in spring. No; this one looks like staying green.

R
RobV
Paul Ford View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Ford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by kevinb kevinb wrote:

I saw 3 mating balls of Grass snakes on friday, about 30 individuals in total.Pics on reporting thread.

I managed an hour and half at this sight yesterday - I was hoping to see some mating balls but instead saw 5 individuals (which all looked like females to me....)

Have I missed all the action? How long does the courtship last? If you see a "mating ball" does that mean that the female will mate within a couple of days and then that's that?

Cheers

Paul 
Robert V View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2012 at 7:55am
Paul hi,

I reckon you may still be lucky.

I once saw a female deposit eggs at the beginning of June and mate again in mid June.

If we get another hot spell in April no reason why the females wouldn't still take part.

Rob
RobV
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic