the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First adder of 2012?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 8:39am
PS can a moderator please remove this very strange situation where my posts get reviewed before appearing on line as its making me feel like some sort of criminal!
pesky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 9:51am
hi, im a regular reader however i dont post much.

ive been interested in adders and grass snakes for a long time catching grass snakes whilst fishing and spotting adders whilst walking the dogs with my parents.

as i grew older i became more interested in photographing and just watching them.

i have a fantastic grass snake site at a friends farm in east yorkshire, and i go to a certaion nature reserve in east yorkshire as well to see adders. i dont want to say on the internet but im sure you will know where i mean.

i hear and read a lot about make the adder count projects and various other surveys and studies. i'd really like to get involved is there any direction you can point me in. id love to help with habitat management and ultimately conservation.

id be very grateful for any help

thanks AndyBig smile
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:18am

Hi Northern Venom

I'm sorry, I had to implement this as a spam prevention measure - and it can only be done so on a global basis - not member by member. We have been very heavily targetted recently. You should, however, be OK now.

Regards

Chris

Chris Davis, Site Administrator

Co-ordinator, Sand Lizard Captive Breeding Programme (RETIRED)
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:21am

Hi Andy

I would suggest that you go to the ARG-UK website at http://www.arguk.org/. Once there, if you click on the "Local Groups" tab, you will find the contact for your nearest group who will, I am sure, be thrilled to hear from you.

All the best

Chris

Northern Venom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Northern Venom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:22am
Thanks Chris!
pesky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Hi Andy

I would suggest that you go to the ARG-UK website at http://www.arguk.org/. Once there, if you click on the "Local Groups" tab, you will find the contact for your nearest group who will, I am sure, be thrilled to hear from you.

All the best

Chris

Hi Chris,

thanks very much for the info i will do that right away, fantastic!

i notice in your sig it says co-ordinator of the sand lizard program, was that linked to an Article ive read in PRK magazine? if so i read it with rteal enthusaism and was disapointed at the amount of literature i could have read pages. Its brilliant you can start a good breeding program like that and i wish you all the best luck with it
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:40am
Don't know enough about Adders but my own observations of Grass Snakes basking at/near the hibernacula in 2011 lasted about three days (almost a no show, very discreet), the year before (same site) over two weeks. It surely depends on the weather, two years ago being ups and downs at that time; last year an out of the blue cold snap followed by a stretch of consistently cool weather. Alternatively i may have missed peak immigration! 

The literature suggests GS and Ads bask much less in autumn at the hib unlike their well documented spring emergence. Although I've found that Natrix tend not to hang around long in the spring. Although i would imagine that weather conditions must play a part in the length of time spend basking on emergence too (common sense really).

P.S. Any info on Rob Vs pylon conundrum before it gets lost under a pile of posts? No idea meself.
pesky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

Don't know enough about Adders but my own observations of Grass Snakes basking at/near the hibernacula in 2011 lasted about three days (almost a no show, very discreet), the year before (same site) over two weeks. It surely depends on the weather, two years ago being ups and downs at that time; last year an out of the blue cold snap followed by a stretch of consistently cool weather. Alternatively i may have missed peak immigration! 

The literature suggests GS and Ads bask much less in autumn at the hib unlike their well documented spring emergence. Although I've found that Natrix tend not to hang around long in the spring. Although i would imagine that weather conditions must play a part in the length of time spend basking on emergence too (common sense really).

P.S. Any info on Rob Vs pylon conundrum before it gets lost under a pile of posts? No idea meself.
i was interested myself in the above
Iowarth View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Iowarth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 11:15am

Hi Andy

I'm afraid I don't get/read PRK and have no knowledge of the article you mention - or even of its accuracy. The programme itself has been running in one form or another for many years (over 40) - certainly long before I joined it, but it is certainly one of, if not the most successful of its type in the world.

pesky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pesky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2012 at 11:17am
Originally posted by Iowarth Iowarth wrote:

Hi Andy

I'm afraid I don't get/read PRK and have no knowledge of the article you mention - or even of its accuracy. The programme itself has been running in one form or another for many years (over 40) - certainly long before I joined it, but it is certainly one of, if not the most successful of its type in the world.

i may have got my wires crossed
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic