the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First adder of 2012?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 9:42am
Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

is there not another post somewhere on the forum of an earlier adder sighting?

Yes, I'm sure someone mentioned seeing one in Dorset a couple of weeks ago.

Someone told me many years ago that they'd seen adders in Dorset in every month of the year. It's a bit more unusual in Northumberland, though...

[Edit: just found the post:
http://www.herpetofauna.co.uk/forum/this-piece-of-writing-may-be-of-interest_topic4018_post28455.html?KW=#28455 ]

Edited by Caleb - 24 Jan 2012 at 9:45am
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by sussexecology sussexecology wrote:

This still makes me think that it emerged because of the temperature but then got caught by either the colder temperature or lack of food. Is also interesting on the sex of the adder too.

Adder generally do not feed after emergence for some considerable time, so immediate lack of food would not be a factor. What could very well be a factor though is stored fat reserves. 

I've long thought that animals leaving hibernation are in far better condition after long cold winters than short mild ones. It may well be that in mild conditions the animals become semi-active burning more of their vital fat reserves. So after such a mild winter one might expect early emergence of emaciated individuals in very poor condition. Such an individual could easily be too weak to return to the safety of its lair after being tempted outside by unseasonably warm temperatures.
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:29pm
Was thinking earlier that the lyrics to a song by James Morrison made me thinking of adders emerging.

Inspired me for sure....

Edited by sussexecology - 10 Feb 2012 at 11:04pm
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:48pm
The deterioration of condition and resultant mortality, as a result of winter activity and subsequent loss of fat reserves, is oft recorded in our three (or strictly speaking 20!) 'true' hibernating UK mammal species; hedgehog, dormouse and bats.

Therefore it is likely to follow that any species requiring periods of 'true' winter dormancy must be badly affected by mild winters. Not to mention the other pathogen ridding benefits etc. that a cold winter brings.
Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 2:50pm
That doesn't sound like The Doors to me...glug, glug, glug!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Noodles Noodles wrote:

That doesn't sound like The Doors to me...glug, glug, glug!

Smile

thanks Noodles

Attached is a link to James Morrison webwite.

Can't find a video with the song though, but will check a bit later and post if i find one.

Am doing some work today, honest!
Just having a tea break

And thinking of adders now every time i hear this song.
Should be thinking about this new awakening;

The song on the album is called the The Awakening, though the album is the same name.

Edited by sussexecology - 24 Jan 2012 at 4:14pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2012 at 10:36pm
deleted as going to put in another thread. Sorry folks!

Edited by sussexecology - 25 Jan 2012 at 8:32pm
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 9:29am
Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

I've long thought that animals leaving hibernation are in far better condition after long cold winters than short mild ones. It may well be that in mild conditions the animals become semi-active burning more of their vital fat reserves.

Long mild winters would be even worse, presumably? I'd guess that months on end of temperatures just below 10C would be the worst possible- too cold to feed, but warm enough to burn off fat. Rather like this winter, in fact...

Do the animals even need to become semi-active to burn off their fat? Presumably even if they're inactive in their retreats at 9C they'll be burning fat quicker than they would be at 4C.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 10:19am
Originally posted by Caleb Caleb wrote:

Originally posted by GemmaJF GemmaJF wrote:

I've long thought that animals leaving hibernation are in far better condition after long cold winters than short mild ones. It may well be that in mild conditions the animals become semi-active burning more of their vital fat reserves.

Long mild winters would be even worse, presumably? I'd guess that months on end of temperatures just below 10C would be the worst possible- too cold to feed, but warm enough to burn off fat. Rather like this winter, in fact...

Do the animals even need to become semi-active to burn off their fat? Presumably even if they're inactive in their retreats at 9C they'll be burning fat quicker than they would be at 4C.

You have got a point Caleb.

If we have mild winters, then presumably animals are going to be aroused throughout the winter and therefore will waste valuable energy. Of course some species do wake up from time to time nnyway (read somewhere i think). A long hard winter would be tough for us, but presumably good for reptiles. Of course reptiles need somewhere to hibernate where the temperature doesn't fluctuate too much.

So this throws another question: if the adder was aroused by the mild weather, assuming it was of course, and assuming that the temperature in the hibernation site was not fluctuating (and stable enough) is there another factor that we are overlooking here.

Bit tired at the moment so not really concentrating that much so apologies if the above question is blinking obvious.

Maybe Gemma was right about the weak animal theory though. Does make sense it wasn't strong enough to go back into hibernation.
Richard2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richard2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2012 at 11:07am
How do I record that sighting?

Durlstone Country Park publishes a daily wildlife report on its website, and it records a sighting on January 7th, the day before I saw them.

Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic