the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

First adder of 2012?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Coordinator
Forum Coordinator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote herpetologic2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First adder of 2012?
    Posted: 16 Jan 2012 at 3:40pm
Just wanted to report that the first adder has been spotted this year in Northumberland! sadly a healthy female adder which was found dead with not a mark on it in early/mid January.

It was reported on the Record Pool - www.arguk.org/recording 

A message has gone out to photographers who feature adders on their websites to ask whether they could send in the sightings at least this would help confirm possible new adder sites in the country.

I would also like to put a request out for previous survey counts to be included within the Make the Adder Count Project - we have been finding declines in numbers etc

Gemma - if you could send over counts from Essex sites that would be great.

J
sussexecology View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:45pm
Thanks for this info Jon

We'll certainly send in our adder records from 2011 (as a bit conscious that we haven't submitted any of our reptile/amphibian records for 2011 yet).

We certainly know of a few adder sites in Sussex and we are putting in place measures to have these sites monitored as part of Making the Adder Count project.

If we can get photos too, then we'll email them to ARC.

Happy new year

Vanderklam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vanderklam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 6:52pm
I would of suggested that it may be a result of the relatively mild temperatures we have been experiencing. Perhaps this female may have been caught off guard with the recent cold snap[?]. Although this begs the question why wasn't this a male; given that they tend to emerge first. Any comments made in terms of the circumstances by which this female was discovered?

K
Kevin Palmer

Lecturer in Animal Management/Course Manager
Caleb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Caleb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 2:05pm
I hope the record pool records will be going to county recorders too...

This is very early for adder in the NE- the earliest I've heard of was early February, and the earliest I've seen was mid February. I don't think I've ever seen a female out before April at the Co. Durham sites I visit. Would be interesting to hear more details about this one.
GemmaJF View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GemmaJF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 3:24pm
Do we know the recorder? Very common for male animals leaving hibernation pre-moult to be identified as females. I would expect we have had a couple of days already this year in Essex where males might have shown for a short while, but a female in the NE?
Paul Hudson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Hudson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 5:24pm
Very occasioanlly in the outdoor vivarium I have experienced sand lizards coming out of hibernation in late Winter ,and despite best efforts these animals always perish. obviously this is in captivity and I don't like to compare too much with what goes off in the wild.I also heard that a common lizard was seen out in Cumbria on Christmas day 2011. Unseasnable weather? sick animals? both... Also last winter(February) a very emaciated dead male sand lizard was photographed on the Sefton Coast.

Edited by Paul Hudson - 19 Jan 2012 at 5:33pm
Paul Hudson
AGILIS View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AGILIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 6:21pm
After reading the reports of much to early sightings of lizards in January I think I would take them home and keep them until the weather is right, but I have seen commons basking in the sun with snow surrounding the bracken in march ,years ago I found a near frozen grass snake alive on a frosty late Novembers day being a teenager I let it go no doubt to its death,so now its keep every thing at home until the season is up and running.keith

Edited by AGILIS - 19 Jan 2012 at 6:25pm
   LOCAL ICYNICAL CELTIC ECO WARRIOR AND FAILED DRUID

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 7:23pm
I was thinking the other day, that maybe this male adder emerged during December when the weather was unseasonably mild. Is always a possibility.

One of our team found a bat roosting in a building the week before Christmas, when it should have been hibernating, so it is always possible that the wildlife are a bit confused. The bat apparently wasn't hibernating though!

Noodles View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Noodles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 11:42am
Interestingly bat hibernation counts in the mines were well down this December (in the county) suggesting that not all the bats had left their summer or transitional residences at this time. However, It is not unusual for bats to be found in buildings throughout the year, in fact it is pretty common. Moreover excessive noise and/or body heat disturbance will tend to rouse a bat from torpor making it appear awake (not a good scenario if you are a bat). Brown Long-eared bats, for example, (which are notorious for extended periods of stay in their summer roosts) will happily sit out the winter months within the ridge tile void where temperatures range widely. 

I read somewhere that, unlike mammals which are susceptible to a number of hibernation cues, a reptile's primary cue comes from temperature alone. This i suppose makes sense if food is not the primary source of energy. So i suppose a mild spell is bound to bring them out. 

P.S. is there not another post somewhere on the forum of an earlier adder sighting?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sussexecology Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2012 at 5:08pm
That's very true re the bats and not uncommon esp brown long-eareds. However,  my colleague thought it was still active because of the mild weather. I must admit it was very mild on the day, with no night frosts.
Haven't seen any post re earlier adder sighting. But would be interested in any other sightings that are too early.

Shame that the adder that was recorded was a dead one. This still makes me think that it emerged because of the temperature but then got caught by either the colder temperature or lack of food. Is also interesting on the sex of the adder too.

Assuming that it was the case as above, then it is probably very close to the hibernation site (but this depends on how long the adder had been active). Would suggest to the recorder that it may be worth hanging about the area at the time when adders should be emerging from hibernation to see if there are any more. Worth a try anywaySmile

Another thing - maybe it would be an idea to do some kind of analysis on the adder, However, it is probably too late now as been a while.

One adder has caused so much discussion!!  We should talk more about adders when they are naturally active. Or am I just being sarcastic today as in that kind of mood today.

Edited by sussexecology - 24 Jan 2012 at 2:36pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic