the online meeting place for all who love our amphibians and reptiles
Home Page Live Forums Archived Forums Site Search Identify Record Donate Projects Links
Forum Home Forum Home > Herpetofauna Native to the UK > Adder
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Field photography continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Field photography continued
    Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 12:11pm

Thank for your thoughts and ideas Tony, David.

I am in full agreement that natural photos are much more interesting , and perhaps I should have made my methods more clear in the first post.

Whenever pos' I will always try to get a good clear shot of the herp as found , and in a natural situation. First I will take a picture as seen , then I will approach as slowly and quietly as pos' taking pics all the time. The final shots may or may not be posed , depending on the quality of pictures taken beforehand.

I agree most pictures found in books and on the internet are posed , and I choose to share the final posed pictures as they are often far better quality , and much easier to get a good look at the specimin.

Here are some examples -- This pic is as found un-posed . Also it was taken with my old camera Olympus 960 zoom

Edited by administrator
O-> O+>
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 12:13pm

This is the same snake posed . Perhaps I needn't have bothered in this case ,as I prefer the natural shot.

Edited by administrator
O-> O+>
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 12:14pm

Here's another as found shot

Edited by administrator
O-> O+>
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 12:15pm

This one is definitely 'as found' . I would never have posed him in such a naff position.

Edited by administrator
O-> O+>
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 12:17pm

Here's an example of my first picture, from a distance, before the tippy -toe appraoch begins .

As seen

Edited by administrator
O-> O+>
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 12:19pm

And finaly , another natural shot of the specimin above .

From her first position she turned and headed out into a clearing , very active . This is a shot of when she first became aware of my presence.

ooops! Al if you know which image was here let me know

Edited by administrator
O-> O+>
Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 12:27pm

I do have just as many 'Natural ' pics , and agree that seeing the habitat is a big plus for folks like you and I .

When abroad herping I will always try to get posed shots . The reason for this is , often you may have searched high and low for a particular specimin , and chances are you may not encounter it again for a very long time .

A good close crisp picture is essential to me in these situations. But once again , if taking a picture like this was putting me into a dangerous situation , or causing the reptile to much stress , then.... I'll go home without the pic.

Alan

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 6:31pm

Thanks Tony , I really appreciate all this advice .

Do you know a good place to start ... I haven't the faintest

Any good agencies out there you'd recomend?

Cheers ,

Alan

administrator View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote administrator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2003 at 11:43pm

If anyone is finding that some of Alan's pictures are not displaying on their browser, try right clicking on the box with the red cross and selecting "open picture"

Alan Hyde View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan Hyde Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2003 at 11:15am

Tony -

Once again ,thank you.

Ha! I'll have to keep my eyes open for those arboreal Smooth snakes . I wondered why I never saw any , I've been looking in the wrong place all time , in the heather.

Alan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic